Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Biweekly Art Day

I added a biweekly art day to our schedule this winter. It seemed that we never could find the time or my energy for all the fun art projects we wanted to do. So, twice a month we set aside a day that all we do are arts & crafts. They can be related to one of our unit studies, or just something we think might be fun to do.

Today we turned on the classical music station and pulled out the crafts and paints. First we made snowflakes to celebrate our cold snap this week, which could be the only winter we get.


Then during Robbie's nap time (because even I don't have the energy to let him paint yet) we pulled down the paints. As usual the theme of the day was water & beach. They love painting things to do with water.

Mary worked on a pirate ship. Emily experimented with mixing colors, "just like Curious George, momma!"
While Katie painted the beach as it looked this summer.
It was a nice, relaxing day. And, they even cleaned up after themselves...bonus points for that.

This afternoon, in a reminder that classes are all starting back again, Katie had her first theater class. She said that she really enjoyed the class. They will be working with various nursery & fairy tales this term.

Tonight Mary and I attended her first Brownie meeting. Yes, finally after two years we have a girl scout troop! Of course she will actually be bridging to Junior scouts at the end of this year, but she is finally registered. And, I brought home paperwork to become a troop co-leader. This is a group without a leader that they are starting now so that hopefully they will have a fully functional troop next fall. If I become a leader there will be space for Katie next year. I don't mind leading Katie's troop, but I would have second thoughts about doing it for Mary. Mary needs someone else in charge for a change. Three other mothers also took leader paperwork, so maybe we can have a junior troop form out of this also.

Of course, if it comes down to it and the only way for Mary to have a troop next year is for me to lead it, I will. She is so chomping at the bit to earn badges as a Junior girl scout. I found a copy of the badge book at the used book store and she has been pouring over it to figure out which badges she wants to do first.

The person from the area office told me that they are trying to pull together a mini-Daisy troop for this winter and spring also and Katie could go ahead and do that. I really hope so as Katie was disappointed she could not attend tonight's meeting.

I still have the information about 4-H that I need to go over and see if there is a group we would like go to. Because nothing says crazy like a homeschooling-scout leading-4-H member-work at home-soccer mom!!!

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.