Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Living without cable

We took the jump to try this year without cable TV. Yesterday morning, bright and early, the technician was out here to turn off the cable...and so it began. We have been warning the children for months that this could happen, and then for the last week that it is actually happening.

So what was the first day of cable withdraw like? Well, Mary didn't even seem to notice or just figured it wasn't worth fussing about. Emily took it with a shrug of her shoulders. Robbie could not understand why Noggin wouldn't come on. Katie, who watches the least amount of TV normally was the most upset by it.

We started school again after our three week holiday break. We ended last semester after finishing up several reading and workbooks that we could start almost fresh this semester. The first day is always about getting back into the rhythm, so we only cover the basics and slowly add in more subjects over the week. The kids did great and we finished in a little under two hours. Mary has a new reading text that I had found at a used book store for $1 that is at the perfect level for her and she likes. She has also decided to tackle "Tom Sawyer" as her independent reading book this month. She read the first chapter yesterday and enjoyed it.

Since school took very little time, I popped in the NOVA video on Fireworks we had recently received from Blockbuster. That was really interesting. My favorite part was learning how computer technology is used to time the fireworks to music. Mary enjoyed the chemistry of fireworks, while the others enjoyed watching all the fireworks.

After lunch Robbie went down for his nap and Emily wanted to watch one of her DVDs. Mary and Katie got interested in various projects. I decided to take quiet time in my bedroom and ended up sleeping for two hours. I couldn't believe I had passed out that long. But, Mary held down the fort really well.

We had a great evening when DH got home. DH helped Mary add the new animal pages to her Animal Encyclopedia and reviewed her spelling words. Then they got into some big paper airplane making project that involved everybody.

Without the distraction of the TV, I had help making dinner and cleaning up after dinner. I had time to hang out with Emily and Robbie before they went to bed. And, the house was clean-ish when I went to bed.

Now, if it will just stop raining so we can get outside again. Everything is a mud pit right now. I can't even let the little ones out to play without running bath water all day.



1 comment:

jacker said...

Although there are differences in content, but I still want you to establish Links, I do not
fashion jewelry

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.