Tuesday, January 25, 2005

What is Important to Me

Sometimes I have my most serious discussions with myself while doing the most mundane things. I have been reading recently about women opting-in and opting-out of the workforce, which I believe is a family/mother decision, not one that anybody else shoul make for another. But I think back to my own decision. When I worked I often found myself questioning how important certain things really were and questioning the commonsense of those managers I worked for, which I am sure anybody who has ever worked has had the same thoughts. Much of them mutterings under my breath of, "why am I doing this when X,Y, and Z really need to be done before tomorrow?"
Truthfully much of what I did I found to be unimportant to the company I worked for and really for the Kingdom I live for.

Today I drove my oldest to preschool, went grocery shopping, nursed little EM, changed Kate's diaper, started a load of laundry, loaded the dishwasher, washed the dishes by hand that didn't fit and watched my youngest sleep peacefully and Kate play happily; and boom I had such a happy glad feeling. This is important to me! They may sound like such boring, mundane activities, and there are times I get bummed by the continuous replay of this type of day, but they are important and they make a difference. This is why I opted out. I may be even less appreciated by my "customers" and I definitely don't get raises or many vacation days. But I get to make a difference in the little things I do.

Today I feel really good about the decision we made!

Peace

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.