Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Real Food

I am excited and hopeful about this year on our little homestead. My spring garden is coming along really well. I've been going crazy planting things here and there in containers. Today I planted onion sets. I have never had onions do very well for me due to the high clay content of our soil. I figured since I am planting so many other containers this year I might give onions a try again.

Big Lots have the "Topsy Turvey" baskets marked down to $2.50 so I picked up a couple more strawberry growers. Today Emily helped me plant everbearing strawberry plants in them. We talked about all the different ways we would enjoy the fruits this summer.

With the wild swings in our weather I have to grab each nice day and spend it outside. I've started cleaning the winter mulch off the summer garden bed. If I can get another nice day tomorrow I will lay out the beds.

This is a rough idea of the garden. I'm doing more container gardening than I had originally planned.

It is one thing to grow Real Food, learning how to use them is our project when the weather isn't nice enough to be outside.


I've been wanting to make our own pasta for awhile, but have been told it was really hard to make. Especially since I don't have any equipment.

The turkey-spinach-mushroom filling was made from natural ingredients. In a few months I want to be able to say they were made from home-grown ingredients. Well, except for the turkey.
I didn't find it that difficult...though I can't really call the final product ravioli. They looked more like pasta pockets.

The kids were a little leery, but gave me a thumbs up once they bit into them. Yeah for Real Food!

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.