Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"It isn't your turn to argue with me"

Yes, that phrase came out of my mouth this morning. While I was finishing up school this morning with Katie, and allowing Mary to lay like a lump on the sofa until she "woke" up, Mary wanted to argue with me about her math assignment for the day. I found myself turning to her with a smile, and an unusual feeling of calmness before I uttered these sweet, sweet words "I still have three hours before I am doing school with you, therefore it isn't your turn to argue with me." I don't know if it was the words or my calmness, but it shut her up quick. What made it even sweeter was at 2:00 Mary pulled out her math assignment and started working on it without a word to me.

In my between time today I was able to finally sort through the bunch of books we have used recently and left piled up here and there in the family room. Wow! What an improvement. I repurposed a small bookshelf and now each of the girls have their own shelf with their current school books & notebooks. Beside the shelf, I have put a plastic storage box I recently emptied and is now home to all our library books. My heart is going pitter-patter to have everything in one space. Did you know we actually have a coffee table?

Now that we have a schedule, we have everything organized and the girls are focused I am actually starting to feel like a homeschooling mom again. We have even been adding people/events to our timeline.

Emily just told me that her art project for tomorrow's art day is to make her own puppet theater. And, she means business; her list includes a box (with an open top), paper bags for the puppets and yarn. Goody... that won't be stressful for anyone.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

kitten said...

Yes! I'm so glad it is working for ya! I need to remember that phrase. Thanks!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.