Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Days Work

For the last three nights I have been trying to make sense of our history program as we move forward this semester. My goal is/has been to thread US History and World History together as we move through the Early Modern period. The Fall Semester was really heavy on US History, early colonization up to the French-Indian War. At the beginning of the year my plan was to only focus on US History, but we enjoyed reading George Washington's World so much and learning about world events that I decided over Christmas that we would pick up with Story of the World Vol. 3.

So, I needed to outline how we were going to use the following materials (not including the literature/biography books) in a way that we were not dancing all over the timeline.
Story of the World Vol.3
The Story of the USA
George Washington's World
Learning Through History Magazine: Revolutionary War
History Pockets:
American Revolution
Westward Movement

I finally found some time to sit down without children interrupting every 3 minutes this morning and figured out how it would work. First of all, I had to realize that there was no way we were going to be able to read all of George Washington's World as part of school. If Mary and Katie still enjoy it we will finish reading it in our own time.

This is what I came up with:


I don't have the details filled in for the History Pockets-Westward Movement at this time because I have not purchased the material yet. I know there are 10 pockets in this title, which fits perfectly with the time I have set to use it.

In addition to these resources, I have also been weeding through our home library and trying to figure out which books I will read as read-alouds and which ones Mary will be reading. The problem isn't that I don't have enough ;) We also have SchoolHouse Rock, The Liberty Kids DVD series and The National Geographic Lewis & Clark series that we will be using.

I'm thrilled to see that it all works out, including taking a week off for Spring Break. We will still finish history two weeks before our school year ends, which gives us a little wiggle room.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.