Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Monday...Tuesday...Whatever day it was

We started off with a back to the grind kind of day, literally. This weekend I found a rock tumbler in the science/really a toy section of a store; and after having priced these things on the internet I went with this one. Anyway, we set it up in the morning and used the rocks that came supplied for our first run. We will use the rocks from our mountain trip later.

It is running in the garage, because it has to run continually - for days. The first cycle is 2-4 days, the second cycle is 8-14 (but possibly longer) and the third polishing cycle another 2-4 days. Nearly a month for 1/2-pound of rocks. Not for the impatient.

We read the directions together and talked about why it takes so long and worked to get it up and running. MB helped me while K ran errands for us.

Then we had gymnastics, session 1 for the day.

After gymnastics I realized that it was HOT! The first indication may have been that I kept wanting to strip out of my clothes and walk around the house n*ked. I figured it was time to set up our inflateable wading pool. MB used the air pump to inflate it and K held the hose to fill it up. I sat in the shade and "observed" while reading. When given the opportunity it is really cool what the girls are able to do.

Unfortunately during the filling process we discovered a small tear in the bottom. So emptied back out and located the ever necessary duct tape. Voila - patched pool.

By the time it got filled up the girls got to play 30 minutes before it was time to head over for gymnastics, session 2. MB, decided that she was ready for me not to have to stay there. So we left after she started class and came home.

At home K and EM joined a very happy puppy who had found the pool while we were gone. And I began preparing dinner - cold pasta salad and grilled chicken. Anything to not heat the kitchen up. DH came home and offered to go get MB for me (I think he just wanted to be in the air conditioned car).

We managed to still not turn the AC on (hee, hee 2 months no heat and no ac). I even offered out of the goodness of my pregnant heart last night to turn it on for hubby. It is supposed to cool down this week so we are definetly going to make it into June.

I am reading The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book - copyright 1954. Good, wholesome and economical recipes. I just have to keep changing to : use 4 tablespoons shortening use olive oil for browning purposes.

I am still working on my recipe notebook for better, less expensive, fresh ingredients cooking. It has been alot of fun reading all these cookbooks; from new-age frou-frou cooking, to traditional, culture-specific, to early and mid-20th century american. It isn't always the recipes that get me - the commentary and history that is shared is so interesting.

Have a peaceful day

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.