Monday, November 23, 2009

Space Exploration and sewing

We came back from the beach on Friday so that we could be in town to go to the Planetarium at UNC with Mary's troop Saturday morning. It was a very early morning for everyone. And, I should point out that Mary wore her Duke coat to UNC. I tried to get her to wear her State sweathshirt, but she wanted something easy to take off when she got hot.

We watched a 3D film (on the curved ceiling) on the Past, Present and Future of Space Exploration. Then, broke into small groups for the activities. The girls got to build their own kites and fly them, make film canister rockets (fueled by alka-seltzer and water), fold paper airplanes and test fly them, and try astronaut ice cream.

Mary had a great time!! Except for the ice cream I don't think there was anything she didn't enjoy doing. In fact, after we came home we had to go back out and buy some Alka-Seltzer so that she could show the neighborhood kids.

The other girls, I'm not so sure about. It is going to take me awhile to get used to spending time with public school kids at activities. I am so used to being with homeschool groups or just my family that I take for granted that kids love these types of experiences. It is so foreign to me to be around children who are just so negatively focused on doing ANYTHING. Even though nothing major happened, I was very upset by it all when we got home Saturday afternoon.

I think I have just come to the conclusion that I will do what I can for the troop, but for Mary we will also just go and participate in more individual activities. Mary, is very focused on her scouting and has definite goals, that in all honesty this troop of girls could hold her back from accomplishing if we only did what the troop wanted.

Sunday, I finally got to BE at home. I pulled out the girls' scout vests and caught up with all the sewing of patches and badges. So many people have had issues with iron-on patches falling off I've just decided to sew them all. My finger still aches from the number of times I managed to stick myself. It took most of the morning to work through the stack in my jewlery box.

The girls helped me clean the rug and give Ginger (our golden) a much needed bath. DH built a fire and I used the leftover fried chicken from Friday's dinner to make a yummy chicken tetrazzini for dinner. We settled in for a family night of games, watching "Amazing Race" and roasting marshmallows in the fireplace. It was a wonderful, peaceful Sunday night!

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.