Monday, August 27, 2007

A Full Day

Today was finally the day we actually ran through the WHOLE Schedule...
and I did it on 4 hours of sleep.
Mary was the schedule-nazi all day, making sure we stuck to it. Everybody got up, pleasantly.
The first wrench in our day was when Katie took off on her bicycle for home during our walk. We were on our way home anyway, but too far away for me to comfortably let her go. She didn't listen to me, so has lost bike privileges for the week. After that we moved right on into the lessons. Mary wanted to complete her copywork first. She is working on copying Ecclesiastes Chp3, v1-8 (A Time for Everything). Katie is working on writing her numbers, one of her weaker spots.

I am loving age 7, although she did comment that 2nd grade has way too much writing. This picture would never had existed 6 months ago. The change has been remarkable. Tonight she asked me to wake her 30 minutes earlier so that she can start her schoolwork earlier in the morning.
Here is a picture of the younger set during one of their 'good moments.' Some struggle getting them back on track today. Emily really missed her Dora/Diego and Little Einsteins time. But, the tv is off until after 2:30 pm. Today, once they got used to it being off, no one even bothered asking if they could watch tv until after 4, and then only because some friends came over and reminded them that Pokemon was on. Robbie has just gotten to the point that he is so interested in EVERYTHING, that we are having some struggles keeping him occupied and out of the bigger girls' hair, sometimes literally (he loves Mary's red hair).

Although, it felt like we were falling behind at some points, we did manage to get everything done by 2:30pm. We started at 9 with a walk around the neighborhood - enjoying the quietness and cooler temps. Came home and worked until 10:30, took a 20 minute break and then back to work until 12. Had lunch, did a read aloud/coloring time and then Emily went down for her nap and everyone had a 30 minute quiet read period (pick a book, any book and stare at it for 30 minutes). We finished up by completing the Chemistry lab we had left from a couple weeks ago when we ended up visiting family at the end of the week. Mary and Katie decided that they wanted to play a Sim game on the computer for their free time.

At 4:00 my friend's kids came over for me to watch, and then shortly after that the nighborhood kids came over. We ended up feeding 7 children tonight. It was loud and crazy...but good. After we got rid of the extra kids, we had a little family night. DH and Mary walked the hyper-dog (Ginger), while I put the little ones to bed and set up to play a quick game of Candyland with Katie.

I've spent the rest of the evening planning and pulling together the materials we need for tomorrow. And, now it is getting late and my energy is slipping away.




Deb said...

It sounds like one of those days-you-can-feel-good-about. Congratulations. I'm at a friends' house this week with my girls because her son doesn't start school until next week, but she's a professor and her classes already started. So I'm filling in child care. And while the kids are all playing together, I'm getting as much organizing of lessons done, as far in advance, as I can. It's useful to do it not in my house, where there are all kinds of distractions. I hope that when we start next week, I can have days like you had yesterday.

Melora said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, but you must be exhausted! I wish were more enthusiastic about his lessons. He actually does enjoy some subjects, but not to the point that he eagerly leaps out of bed to get going with school. I still haven't added in our writing program and school is excessively long anyway. Got to keep tinkering with that schedule!

We would love to have you visit us and check out the new rock slide whenever you can make it! Just tell us when.

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.