Monday, February 25, 2008

Geared up for another week

I woke up this morning feeling energetic and ready for this week. We have finally gotten the umph back into our days that have been missing for a few months. This Colonial/Revolutionary War impromptu unit study has been very invigorating for all of us.

Not to mention that we all can feel that Spring is just around the corner. As I sat here this morning I heard the geese flying, a sound I haven't heard since last Fall. It might still be on the chilly side of things, but there are green things in my garden (that are not weeds) and birds all around. And, I received emails reminding me that I need to sign Mary up for Spring soccer. Each day we will be spending more and more time outside.

Last night I stayed up a little late putting together this week's lists and even going forward and making lists for projects for the next couple of weeks.

Our reading list for this week includes:
Sam The Minuteman Nathaniel Benchly
Meet Felicity Valerie Tipp
The American Revolution Bruce Bliven, Jr. (this book is being read only a few chapters a week so it will take us awhile)
Visiting a Village Bobbie Kalman
Food and Recipes of the Thirteen Colonies George Erdash
Paul Revere's Ride Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Patriots in Petticoats Shirley Raye Redmond
American Kids in History: Colonial Days David C. King
The Story of Clocks and Calendars: Marking a Millennium Betsy Maestro
Picasso and Minou P.I. Maltbie
Trouble on the Tracks Kathy Mallat
My Rows and Piles of Coins Tololwa M. Mollel
DK Eyewitness: Chemistry

Our projects for this week:
"Knowledge" web for what we have already learned on the Colonial/Revolutionary Period
Make Maple Sugar Candy
Learn how to play 'Jacks'

Can you tell I am having a lot of fun with this one. There are just so many hands-on activities and ideas I am finding. It just fits so well with us. By the time this unit is finished (we will be doing field trips in April) it will be time to look back outside for our next study.

Peace,
Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.