Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Home Education Musings for Us

We are settling back down into what I might refer to as normalcy around these parts. Something we have not had since, I don't know, maybe September. It seems like such a long time to have one thing after another -- I am ready for it.

With every thing going on I have just felt like this homeschooling year (our first official for the extended family) has been a bust, at least viewed from the outside. I *know* the girls have learned and grown, and just all in all doing exactly what they need to do. I also know that my DH and some of his family have looked at this year and responded with ya'll have taken so many breaks when have you had time to "do school." Where is the discipline in your day? (Discipline - not in punitive punishment, but as in regular structure and expectations). I am not going to fight this out with the in-laws, because it reall isn't worth it. But, DH is one of them looking at this past year and shaking his head. I admit that this year has ended up nothing like we had imagined it, but what in life does. So I don't know if I am going to have to battle to keep on homeschooling next fall or not. DH and I decided to take it one year at a time, and this is just not a good example.

In some ways, ways that not everyone sees, this year has been highly successful for homeschooling. A lot of my preconceptions have gotten dashed. I have spent time educating myself on different learning styles and watching my girls as they go about their day. I am more open to using many different approaches, rather than stuck with just one that we would us no matter what. Which all basically means that I have learned that I need to learn more. And I have decided that the only way to learn how to homeschool my girls is to homeschool my girls.

Some things I want to do differently and I need to work on are:

1. Getting out of the house more. This could mean more family field trips, more HS group trips and get together, or more just hanging out. My anti-social personality trait really kicked in this year and I do regret that.

2. The girls and I all need to develop our expectations and really stick to it. Do we have three at home days and really spend that time on our "paper" learning and have two days out and about? If I give MB an assignment I really need to stick to the ball and make sure it is done - not get so sidetracked with other things.

3. I need to spend more time developing and preparing. Just letting it come has become stressful and almost like drudgery. I don't even want to face it some days. If I could just get each week in advanced printed out and prepared I believe things would go much smoother.

4. All in all I need to work on my organization and my disciplines. I set the example of expectations for the girls. Without a strong role model this year they really have learned to kind of run over me, and I just haven't had much of an energy to "fight" back.

I can't wait to get my white board and all the extra home education books and materials that we stored three months ago out of storage and re-set up. I am missing my library at my fingertips.

I am excited about the Sprummer (Spring/Summer - our weather can't decide which it is) being here. I am entering my second trimester and our housing has been decided for the next year, at least. I am ready to concentrate on life immediately around me: homeschooling, nesting, becoming better financial managers, etc. These things excite me, challenge me and touch my heart. I love being a mother who can be at home, even though I was raised to be a mother who would work. I have done both - and this fulfills me - right where I am. I write this not to make a point or to enter into any larger SAHM/working mom argument; but because I am consistently surprised by how satisfied I am - because I never imagined this as my life.

I need to go pack our picnic - we are going to head out for a morning at the local lake and play ground.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Kate said...

Let me encourage you - homeschooling your first year is never a bust! It's a total learning experience and your girls have gained so much more then meets the eye by being with you this year. Trust me! I had to learn this the first year too. And at this young fresh age, they are soaking it all up even if you can't see it at the moment. It can only get better. :)

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.