Saturday, April 08, 2006

Musicals and Butterflies

This is actually from Saturday - I forgot to actually POST it.

This last week the big girls have really grabbed onto the musical genre. I guess this is what the classic disney animation movies prepare them for - but since the 60's not many very good musicals have been made. We have watched Mary Martin in Peter Pan, always a favorite; Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music; and Dick Van Dyke in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a surprise as it was on cable last night. Children dancing and singing - both onscreen and in the middle of our family room. What a joy it has brought me to watch K with her arms outstretched, dancing on her toys, singing "I float, I fly, I fleetly float I flyyyy." MB last night trying to sing the very difficult theme song to Chitty Chitty, was worth a laugh even though I cannot do it justice here. Rewatching Chitty Chitty last night has reinvigorated me to want to continue building my musical collection, and I want to begin again with this


The Special Edition. I just have to wait until we are settled. I do have a birthday in three months - mhhmmm.

And, so you won't think we have just been couch potatos - butterflies have returned!! Hours are spent outside chasing them, watching them. I have even caught MB and K, catching butterflies, with their bare hands, and taking them back to their bedroom. Apparently, MB wants to open her own butterfly house. It is the strangest thing. MB can catch creatures like butterflies and small lizards - they will then allow her to walk around with them as they just sit on her arm. For as long as an hour I have seen these creatures sit and "visit" with MB.

But bedrooms, especially bedrooms in a house with two dogs is no where to start a butterfly house. But, I am thinking after we move I might set up our screen tent that MB can use to observe butterflies for short periods of time before they are set free.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.