Friday, April 21, 2006

Wonder and Joy

I keep feeling the push to keep gratitude lists, to remind me of all the awesome gifts that God has given me. Yet, I never seem to quite get around to it. I get wrapped up and want to expound on the magnificence of each one. So, today I have decided to focus on the gift of my children and how they remind me each day of the forgiveness, grace and love of our Father.

It is their gift of wonder and joy that they give me each day for God's creation. It is the reminder to not be a "Martha" all the time, but to sometimes step into "Mary's" shoes and just watch and listen. I don't think that I am very different than most adults when I say that my day gets filled with to do lists and chores. I do feel the pressure to keep the house running well, the children safe an educated, and provide meals for all - this is my job - my service.

So, my days tend to go off in some checklist fashion, even if I don't keep one. Breakfast - check, laundry - check, play game with kids - check, and so forth. It does start to become a burden after awhile. Then the girls remind me - stop, take time, watch and just be.

I'll admit that there are times that I become frustrated when MB runs in, yet again, to tell me to come look at what she has discovered. I am up to my elbows in cooking dinner, or some other such thing and I just want some peace and quiet while they are outside playing. But I go, and there I will see that she is watching a spider wrap up its dinner, or the flower that has just opened, and "can't you see all the beautiful colors Mommy?" the bunnies having their meal in the neighbors yard. My active, seldom still daughter stops and admires these things and just knows that I need to see it to.

K experiences joy so completely, down to her very cells, that she actually shakes and squeals when she hears or sees something that excites her. Everything is like a gift to her, to be experienced as deeply as possible, for as long as possible. I can get very frustrated with her because of her "pokiness." K doesn't rush anywhere. She takes her time, looking all around her, experiencing where she is at anyone moment in time. I am normally there pushing her to go faster, to keep up - but what am I in a rush for? K experiences her joy, her sadness, where she is in life at that moment and takes us all along for the experience.

EM finds the good things in life and believes life, at this point I believe to be very funny. She took her time smiling and laughing - but more than made up for it by developing this quick sense of humor and a deep, contagious belly laugh that soon has all of us rolling even if we don't get the joke. At her young age, life is fun and full of fun things to try. She recently discovered the small plastic slide - down she slides not knowing how to stop herself at the bottom she keeps right on going until she plops off the end and lands on her rear. Then she just laughs and jumps up to do it all over again. Books I have read ad nauseum to the other two have taken on newer meanings with EM as she points out the little things and starts off laughing about them. Laughter is the best medicine and life can be filled with many fun things, EM seems to be telling me.

Thank you Lord for the gifts you give each day, for the gift of the girls and their reminders for me to be aware of your even greater gifts - the wonder of your creation, the chance to be an experience life in all its colors, and fun and laughter. Help to step back and embrace these gifts today.

Peace,

Amy

3 comments:

Dy said...

Beautiful, Amy. Thank you. I haven't been stopping nearly often enough as of late. I will now.
Dy

Melora said...

Such a good reminder! I tend to get sidetracked and involved in doing unimportant things, and "don't have time" for sharing the small joys with my littles. Must prioritize!

You've had such an eventful week! Sounds as though the time wasn't quite right for the move. I'm so glad your buyers backed out, since you seem to want more time to mull over your options.
I knew just what you were talking about when you talked on Wednesday about satisfactions and concerns over the past year's home schooling. I really feel like I'm not giving T. the education I want him to have, mostly because I'm having a really hard time fitting hs'ing around working. He reading ahead of grade level, and is not behind on anything, but we never do any fun projects, and I haven't done much science. K. is only four, but she has no interest in learning to write real letters, and I haven't spent enough time working with her. On the other hand, both kids Want to be at home, and I feel like it is the best for our family. One thing that I did earlier in the year, which gave me a Lot of peace of mind about our school schedule, was to plan out the year in Edu-Track. Just being able to check off the various assignments (or at least "bump" them forward) made me feel that we were accomplishing what we were supposed to. About mid-year, though, we fell behind, for reasons I can't even remember, and now I have to find time to salvage our "schedule" and put together something respectable looking to show the evaluator in June! I do plan to use the program again next year, though, and just try to stick with it a little better.
Cordially,
Melora

Kate said...

Ahh, your last paragraph is especially beautiful. What a great reminder each day to be grateful and thankful for the gifts God has given us. I so needed to read this today! Thanks Amy!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.