Saturday, May 26, 2007

One Computer - 4 computer users

A few months ago I put away the laptop. It was running horribly, the sound no longer worked and several keys were missing. With that the kids lost their computer, just at the time that they want to use the computer more and more. Which means, I am often shuffled off the computer. It has been good for me as more things are getting done (what a really bad statement about my personal time management skills), but bad for blogging. When I get on I generally have a list of things I need to look up, people to email and so forth. When I have finally logged in to try to post, I'm called away and just never get back. Thankfully, I have not had a whole lot to say.

I did pull up most of the broccoli plants this week. They were so eaten by caterpillars that it was highly unlikely I was going to get anything. It allowed more sun to get to other areas in the garden and I will try again this fall with the broccoli. Once the lettuce is done, hopefully not for another few weeks (that has been a wonderful crop for us) I plan on building another raised bed where they are planted. It will increase my garden size by another 10sq feet or so. With incorporating a more 'square-foot' gardening plan that will allow many more plants.

Our summer crops are still putting on their size, and DH and I are already talking about the fall/winter garden we are going to try. We are already working on building a portable cold frame to use, but in most cases here a lot of fall plants will actually winter over okay. The fall/winter crops we are going to do are broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and cabbage. There are other greens we could try but neither DH or I are big 'greens' eater (turnip greens, collard greens and so on). I gag just thinking about trying to swallow those southern delicicies.

I had a big grocery store find this past week. Of course what I got it for was last years 'on-sale' price. The big 10-lb bags of chicken leg quarters were regularly priced at about $.89/lb, they had gone on sale a couple of times for about $.69/lb, but like I said last year I was getting them at $.39/lb. So, I had not bought any. I ran in to pick up a few other sale items and checked out the manager's specials in the meat case. They had a few bags that need to be sold by the next day marked down to $3.95/bag - I picked up two, and now have 20lbs of leg quarters in the freezer to grill this summer.

The weather has been good around here. Not nearly enough rain, but it has allowed us to be outside most of the time. We have been schooling around the picnic table and I pulled out the chalkboard from the garage that we don't have room for in the house. We do a little work, draw on the chalkboard, jump in the wading pool and swing from the monkey bars. And I rarely have to leave my comfy seat up on the deck. The girls put their swim suits on first thing in the morning and rarely change until we have to go somewhere. The only thing that could be better is if there was a beach out beyond our deck. We even found EM's first freckle the other day.

That has been the quick update of our week. I'm hearing Jr wake up from his nap.
Peace,
Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know what's really good to do? Thaw the whole bag and grille it all at once. Then you've got grilled chicken for several meals, or even for salads, yum! You can re-freeze them if you aren't going to have that much chicken in a week.

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.