Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Weekend Away

DH and I did something special this past weekend; we went out of town just the two of us! We started planning this back in March. We split up the kids between my mom who came up and stayed at our house and Dh's sister. We went to his parent's summer house up in the mountains and had a wonderful time. The last time we had been away like this was four years ago when K was just a baby.

The first two days we were stuck in the clouds. It was so foggy that you could just see the outline of the trees on my in-laws property. I love the fog, as long as I don't have to drive in it. It made for very surreal experiences when I went out onto the deck and felt as though I was stepping into nothingness. The last two days the sun came out and it warmed up. Yet, we still did nothing. The only place we went was for dinner to DH's brother's place. Of course we missed our turn, got lost and ended up in Virginia before we got there.

Otherwise, we stayed at the cabin. I read two books, knitted two washcloths and crocheted another grocery bag. We watched movies on the dish and just generally responded to no one else's wants or needs other than our own. We ate when we wanted to, showered when the mood hit us and slept whenever.

Of course every morning I woke up and my first thought was "why don't I hear my kids?" And, I did miss all of them. But, I needed a respite and DH needed a break before work actually gets busier (if it can).

I'm glad to be home. My mom left this afternoon to go home and I am ready to get back to our routine. I miss doing the things around the house I do. I was actually excited this afternoon when I put Junior back into his cloth diapers (my mom asked to be able to use disposables while she was here).

We will be going back to the mountains in early July, but will be taking the kids on that trip. I love the mountains. If Dh could find a job to do from home we would be living there already.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.