Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Grocery Challenge - May Update 1

I'm working very hard to stay within by planned grocery challenge of $200 for the month, even with the trip out of town. We are sitting at $52.30 spent so far this month, not including the $60 mom gave me to buy groceries for her before we left town. That money paid for the things she wanted to have: jar baby food, frozen single dinners (for her), frozen pizzas (for the kids), extra milk (my mom drinks/uses alot of milk), disposable diapers, etc.

Half of our total has been formula. The rest was basically spent on cheese and supplies for our weekend at the cabin. So I am on track for the month. I just need to ignore the siren call of the store sales fliers.

One of the things I did work on this weekend while I was away was creating a menu for the rest of the month with what we already have.

My dinner menu for this month:
5/8 Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
5/9 Baked Spaghetti, Garlic Bread
5/10 Chicken & Rice Casserole, Broccoli
5/11 Cheese & Broccoli Soup, Yeast Rolls
5/12 Leftovers
5/13 Pizza
5/14 Roast Chicken, Boiled Potatoes, Peas
5/15 Chicken Tetrazinni, Broccoli
5/16 Hamburgers, Homemade Mac 'n' Cheese
5/17 Grilled Pork Chops, Pasta Salad
5/18 Spaghetti, Salad
5/19 Leftovers
5/20 Pizza
5/21 Mexican Chicken & Beans, Rice
5/22 Beef Stroganoff, Peas
5/23 Chicken Pasta, Broccoli
5/24 Grilled Kielbasa/Hot Dogs, Mac n Cheese
5/25 Tacos
5/26 Leftovers
5/27 Pizza
5/28 Roast Chicken, Stuffing, Green Beans
5/29 Chicken Quesadillas
5/30 Swedish Meatballs & Noodles
5/31 Baked Chicken, White Rice
6/1 Grilled Pork Chops, Dirty Rice, Corn
6/2 Leftovers
6/3 Pizza

The only things on this menu I will need to purchase will be more tortilla shells, hot dog buns and broccoli. I want to get the broccoli fresh from the farmer's markets but am not having good luck with that so far. I'm still waiting for my broccoli to head and am becoming discouraged there. So, if I can't find fresh broccoli I will need to get frozen. Everything else we already have in the freezer or pantry for this month.

Peace,
Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.