Monday, July 23, 2007

The Garden Died

I was quite saddened because at the beginning of June it looked so good. But all the weather extremes caught up with it and in the end only a few plants escaped enough that I have allowed them to try and make a feeble go of it. The weather extremes we have had since May took their toll.

The frustrating thing is that I hear any yahoo can grow tomatoes and zuchinni. Laugh if you want but my first year trying tomatoes and darn if I don't get three tomatoes and then all the leaves dried up and fell off. The zuke plants still look really good - but no fruit. I've left them to see if a miracle may happen.

I spent part of the weekend yanking plants and turning soil again. I added some more soil and a little more of our compost to the empty areas. After letting it sit for a couple days I have planted what I had left of our seeds. It looks like I can get two gardens in where we are. Fingers crossed that our August/September weather will be better for the garden. And, where or where are all the bees we have had for the last few years?

In a few weeks we will be planting our fall/winter crops. As spring crops the lettuce and spinach did pretty well. We are going to add cabbage to the mix this time.

I do not have a balck thumb, I do not have a black thumb....

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.