Thursday, September 08, 2005

Great Explorations

In order to receive a local homeschooler education card to use for various discounts and such I need to come up with a name. This will eventually be the name I have to use when registering with the state next year. The name we finally decided on was Great Explorations Academy. Because it speaks volumes about what I hope my girls experience in their education. I would love for them to be able to explore EVERYTHING and at least have some passing knowledge of all cultures, history, science, art, etc. from peoples near and far.

In celebration of the beginning of Not-going-to-school year I give you these photos of the explorations my girls have been making these past couple of weeks.




MB exploring her first adventure into team sports.



K exploring art, dressed as spongebob.



My new mover at the beginning of her adventure in exploring the world around her.



And she is off!

Here is a map of the environmental zones in Africa that MB did today based on a recent map in National Geographic. I had sketched the outline, but she filled in everything else.



As we go through studying some different animals we will find out where they live and post them on the map.

Here is a book cover that she colored in, based on the african cloth. I love all the bright colors she used.



I hope everyone else is enjoying their own explorations!

Peace

Amy

1 comment:

Dy said...

What a great philosophy!

I love the pictures of your little explorers. Man, how do you keep from just sitting there all day, staring at them and thinking, "These kids are just. so. cool." I don't think I'd accomplish much. :-)

OK, on a complete side-note, how do you like having the bench seat w/ the table? Fill me in on this. We're designing the kitchen and moving a wall four feet out, and I'm angling for a "banquette" style table nook. (I always just called it something else, but that word keeps showing up in the magazine captions w/ the table like that, so I'm guessing that's what it's called.) How does it work with the kidlets? (Looks awesome for crafts!) How does it work when you have company, or do you use a different table for that?

TIA,
dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.