Thursday, September 08, 2005

I have got to stop reading

Not everything, just those homeschool help books that I keep picking up from the library shelves. I am slowly making myself insane by reading them. I read one and I decide that yes we need to be more organized, scheduled and routined. That MB should be forced to sit down and do the lessons I have planned for that day and that it is imperative that we stay on some track. Then I read another and I believe that she is young and the way that she plays she is learning she is learning. That our lessons need to be flexible so that she has some days that she processes information without being forced to "learn more."

And while I am doing all this reading, our days are slowly coming together into a schedule and a routine that I am thinking fits us. Fits our learning styles, fits my need to have something planned, fits our needs to be able to march off into tangent land for a day or a week. And more importantly I am starting to claim this style as "our style." I don't want to change it, I don't think it needs to be change right now and for us it is working.

Yet, I still can't resist picking those books off the shelve and bringing them home. I hope for some lightbulb. Some magical, wand waving spell that will make our days 100% perfect in a dream homeschool world. Only they are making me crazy. From highly-structured to loosely woven unschooling, and all the in-between methods I find something that I agree with. Some facet that I really like and would like to bring into our day.

So, what is our style. We don't really have one that has a name. When I think about it, I like the term creative homeschooling. Trying to hit on MB's and K's many an varied learning styles - which may change from day-to-day. Taking into account days that more cuddles than table time are needed, or those days that it is imperative that MB play with someone her own age.

I write my own curriculum, using many sources for information and activities. I enjoy this. It is tiring, but I can totally format something in the way I see it best working for the girls right now. I also know that this is fine while the girls are young, but down the road we will begin to work in more focused programs in which they will need to work along some continuum. I am okay with that too.

So, why do I keep driving myself crazy by reading these books? Fear, doubt, insecurity. No more!! A hiatus is being called in my house on these books. They are being sent back to the library for someone else's education. And we are going to continue on, happily ignorant of the "BEST" way to homeschool.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

Dy said...

OK, I can say this in jest b/c you know I'd rather rip my own toenails out than engage in book banning ;-), but BANISH THE SELF-HELP BOOKS!!! You don't need them. Next time, pick up a gentle Victorian classic, or a bio (I really recommend either Edmund Morris or Forrest McDonald - both of them write engagingly and beautifully, and they're funny.) Pick up a little brain candy - and some fun books for the girls, too. :-)

Just enjoy those precious girls. They are so young. They won't ever be this little again, and your groove is coming along nicely w/o everyone else's opinion (yes, including mine, ha ha!)

Dy

Pirate Princess said...

That's awesome Amy! You don't need those books - you're so right - you already know deep down what's best for your family! I'm glad you're feeling a bit more confident! :)

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.