Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Grounded

Our field trip to the zoo for tomorrow has been postponed because of the threat of Ophelia. So, we are going to the art museum mainly to visit their African Art room. MB says we are going because "They have a roof."

MB and I should have plenty of time to 'bond' and do some schoolwork over the next week, as she is now grounded (no friends over, no going to friends, no stepping outide the doorway with DH or I, and a loss of her tv choice privilege). She has left our yard and immediate vicinity while playing with friends 3* times over the last week. Tonight was the last straw when she did not answer either myself or my mom. If I didn't already have a pretty good idea where she was I would have probably freaked out more. As it was I was so angry that I had DH go get her. But, I was proud of myself and MB in that (1) I didn't immediately begin yelling at her, instead waiting for a calm time when DH and I could talk to her together. (2) MB did not tune us out and start yelling at us with a bunch of denials and lame excuses. She took her punishment well, at least in the dispensing. We will see over the next few days.

* The first two I gave her the benefit of my doubt because of certain circumstances, this time she just totally disobeyed me regarding rules of the house.

Not really a red letter day around here. Things are falling into place, but maybe just not where I had imagined it. But in all it really is good.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Oh Amy, hugs, I had a day like that too. I'm really proud of you, it sounds like you stayed rational (to her face anyway...lol) and then stuck to your convictions. That's so important and I don't do it enough. Sounds like your family has made some great steps!

Dy said...

I think you handled it beautifully. Zorak and I will tag team to allow the other some cooling off time. It does WONDERS, doesn't it?

Enjoy this week, and enjoy getting to know her on a new level. It might be just what she needs. :-)

Dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.