Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I will claim these children

My worry was for naught. My girls, who generally become caged animals if they have to wait for a 10-minute oil change, were absolutely awesome today at the car dealership. As we walked into the waiting room I could see the 7 people already there internally groaning. I wasn't really looking forward to it myself.

My girls walked over and found seats and sat down quietly and began to go through their bags.
In preparation I had packed each of the girl's bags with a variety of quiet activities. In my bag I had thrown a quick craft kit for MB to make an Egyptian crown base on the story of the red crown king and the white crown king.

I re-read the king story to MB again, while K read a book from her bag and EM examined a touch and feel book on the floor. Then I gave MB the supplies and she made a very decent crown, especially considering that I could not find the scissors in the bag I had packed so we had to tear the paper by hand.




About the same time MB finished the crown, K began to get antsy, so I gave them each some paper and they had their crayons. K drew water and buses while MB decided to make an Egyptian picture book based on the things that she has read about and seen in her other books.

I was actually a little surprised when the service tech came out to tell me that my car was done. We had sat there for 45 minutes, happily (the only cryign was from EM when I went to wipe her nose). I did not once have to say "stop climbing that", "get over here" or "don't go outside"

I walked out with a grin on my face. Happy, behaved children, a working CD player in the car. Since they finished about an hour quicker than I had been told I decided to reward the kids with a trip to the park. It was so quiet and deserted, the kids coul play on whatever they wanted. The temperature was good.

Now we are home, getting ready to head back out for MB's soccer lesson.

And what was the very first CD requested - "Addition Unplugged" (MB)

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

another lisa said...

It is soooo rewarding to have your kids behave well... especially when you are at your mothers/mother-inlaws...!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.