Monday, September 26, 2005

The Rest of the Day

Shortly after I left you all this morning MB ran in to announce that the mailman was coming. She and K ran out to greet him, as always. This time he had a surprise for us, two new movies from Blockbuster. Surprise, yes, I had only put the last two in the mail on Thursday. One of the movies was Born Free, which we watched in the afternoon. MB really enjoyed it. Because I had seen it awhile back, I kept getting up to go do one thing or another and MB kept tracking me down to let me know what was happening and why I needed to go watch it with her. The movie led into a discussion about adopting wild animals and how wild animals should be kept wild for the safety of themselves and ourselves. Although this movie had a 'happy' ending, life more often doesn't work that way.

After our reading this morning on the Nile River, MB has kept lining things up or drawing the Nile River with full descriptions of "here is the delta, see the triangle", or "This is where the white king lived and this is where the red King lived." I thought it was really neat today watching her put all that together. Several times today she came to me with one of the tons of Egypt books I have ended up with to ask me about something or show me something. She cannot get over the wooden headrests they used. I can see why young children really enjoy Egyptian history - so many aspects that can appeal to so many senses.

I spent some time watching K play today. I love watching K play. It is so interesting, fun and funny. It is also something that I was never able to do with MB, because she always seemed to want me involved. K will only nominally tolerate me playing with her right now, but she will let me watch. Today she began by moving our landscape bricks around, frustrating for DH, but interesting in how she would go about it. Somehow our layout or the color of certain bricks together does not appeal to her sensibilities - so she shifts them around, much like someone would rearrange furniture in a house. She also 'cooked' with her sand, using various rocks, acorns and leaves - very common preschool thing, but very interesting in watching how she went about it and trying to remember MB's approach. I am sure that a thesis could be written about it all.

Watching K play, totally relaxes me. It tends to remind me to relax and let the girls be and they will continue to develop very well with limited interference from me. She reminds me that my priority in teaching them is to introduce them to something and then step back and let them explore it as it suits them best. I don't do this very well with MB (why? that coul be another thesis), but I try and I keep trying.

Today ended up being a good example of that. We spent very little time on lessons. Instead I read them short snippets, talked through some ideas, things I wanted them to think about through the day, week, lifetime and then I let them go explore those things (or whatever caught their eyes). I had a pretty relaxing day and managed to stay on top of the housework for the day. I even ended up completing a project that I had put aside in July - Our big bulletin board.




This was a freebie bulletin board (large) that was also in horrible condition. I found this piece of fabric in one of the craft boxes my mother had given us. I finally got around today to cutting it down and fitting it. Then I just used a staple gun to attach. I still need to figure out where it is going to go. We just don't have that much large wall space, but if I move around a few pictures and things it will work. It will give us the perfect spot to hang examples of MB an K's work.

As well as today went, I am dreading tomorrow morning. I have to take the van in to have our CD player replaced (warranty) and it is one of the those wait appointments which I am told will only take an hour. Unfortunately I was unable to find anyone able to take any of the children - so they will be going to wait with me. I have warned the appointment setter and the service manager that I have three young children and that they will have to come with me - so we will see how it goes.

I am trying to figure out what to take that will entertain them without packing up the entire household. MB and K each have their bags, and I am sure whatever they put in them will entertain them for about 10 minutes. I am considering my laptop, but since it holds a charge for all of 15 minutes I don't know if that is an option. I have never been to this dealer's service center so I have no idea what the waiting area is like. I am really hoping for the best - quick service from the shop and girls that will be happy drawing, coloring, rolling small balls and being read to (snicker - only if they totally change personalities while asleep tonight).

Since we actually have to get up tomorrow morning and go somewhere I should probably get some sleep. I actually have to get up and shovel out the car somewhat before we leave.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.