Monday, September 26, 2005

What Now??

It is shortly after 11 am, and we have done everything on our school list for the day. Ummm, okay. Everyone woke up fairly early today and we got a good start on the day. We started off by making oatmeal and MB is getting very good at her measurement skills, a big change from just a few months ago. She determined how many 1/4 cup scoops we needed for 3 servings of oatmeal. Her scoops were also better, not too much and not too little.

While we ate breakfast I read the first part of Nile River reading from SOTW I. This seems to be the best time in the morning for us to do any organized reading.

Then I worked with both K and MB on how to seperate their clean clothes by which dresser drawer and putting them away. A new chore that I am adding to their list.

After that K and EM had playtime while MB and I worked through a couple of map sheets for the Nile River and where is Egypt. The little ones were still happy so MB wanted to do her reading lesson.

After reading we moved straight on into our math lesson for the day. Because of MB's interest now in pyramids I figured it would be a good time to introduce solid geometry. All the girls 'participated.' We used the wooden blocks and the white board to introduce the shapes. EM enjoyed chewing and banging the wooden blocks. K enjoyed drawing on the white board and MB went on hunt around the house to find me examples of a box, cube, cylinder and sphere. Examples of a pyramid were not very handy so I allowed a picture out of our book. We compared 2-D shapes with similar 3-D shapes and talked about how they were similar and how they were different. Tomorrow I plan on having MB make me examples of the shapes using clay.

Then we went outside and created our model of the Nile River Valley. K and MB dug sand and dirt to use, while EM just enjoyed exploring the back deck. Even though DH had blown off the deck last night, the acorns were back this morning - I guess fall really is coming even if it doesn't feel like it. K, eventually became bored with the project and chose to continue digging in the sand box. MB and I finished up the project. We made notes of where MB expects that the grass will grow and where it will not.



That was it for the day. EM had gone down for her nap and the big girls are watching Rapunzel while I reasses and figure out what else to do/suggest. MB enjoyed trying her hand at hieroglyphics yesterday so we may do more of that. I also have an Ancient Egypt craft book from the library I may let MB pick something out of. I also may just decide to do chores today.

Apparently the movie is over an I am wanted by K, so off to the 2nd half of the day.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

another lisa said...

have you seen the national geographic wild cam... at
http://205.188.130.53/ngm/wildcamafrica/wildcam.html?fs=www3.nationalgeographic.com

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.