Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Ahhh, Relaxation

I do not know why it always takes me so much to want to come down to the beach to visit my family. I mean, what could be better than having family living at the beach, free place to stay, free food and family members fighting over who gets to keep the children for awhile. I should be down here almost every week from April through October. But, it never works out that way. Always seems to be too much trouble to pack everyone up and drive down, plus I miss hubby and home so much when I am away. But it is sure nice down here.

It took us about two hours yesterday morning to get us all in the car and on the road, and that is with our suitcases already in the car the night before. The ride down was riddled with traffic and I have all that new car stress, because I always feel like something is going to happen to my car since it is only a few weeks in my possession. Other than that the ride was very good.

I have moved around the sitting "assignments" for the girls in the van and it worked so much better. I moved MB to sit in the middle seat next to EM, and K is in the back seat by herself. Personality wise, this is great for everyone. MB like to be in the "middle" of things and carry on conversations with me most of the time and we no longer have to yell back and forth across the car. K, who is more private and introspective can sit in the back and color or look at her books without MB trying to 'interact' with her. It also works because MB is big enough to help me pass things back through the car if necessary. She can entertain EM if that is needed or pass a bottle of water to K. I think I will keep this for awhile.

On the way down, we listened to MB's addition facts music CD twice before I could not do it anymore and then listened to just about the entire "Magician's Nephew" on CD. If there is anyone out there that enjoys The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe series by C.S. Lewis I have a great find for you. Focus on the Family has released all the titles of the series down in a radio play format (different actors, sound effects, etc.) It is really, really awesome. I found it at Walmart where you can buy the individual titles for about $7 each, or the entire series for $35. It is well worth it. The voices are done by British stage and screen actors and if you close your eyes (I don't recommend when driving) you can just imagine the book.

I spend an enormous part of my day reading out loud to the girls, but I love being read to also. This radio play (as opposed to an audio book) fills that need for me.

After we got to my Dad's house were we met my sister and neice, all the girls jumped in the pool for a swim. My neice and MB had great time, being the two best swimmers. And once my Dad got home from work and joined them there was a lot of dunking and throwing and general hi-jinxs. K swam around in a ring-bouy most of the time, which is so much more than she has done all summer. She was totally fine in the water, as long as MB did not come to close (MB is known to splash K). EM was soo relaxed in the water. I sat on the steps and had her in my lap. She just stretched out like a sunbather and enjoyed watching. No wiggling to get out of my arms, no crying about the water, just total and complete relaxation.

Today I am going to take MB over the the beach to met my sister for some boogie boarding while my mom and I take the others for some shopping. I am hunting a bench for our kitchen table and am hoping I might have some luck down here since I am not having any at home.

Have a great day!!

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

another lisa said...

apparently there is a new movie of the C.S. Lewis (L, W & W) coming out at Christmas... we are very excited about it... we already own a wonderful version produced a few years back (produced by the BBC)

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.