Monday, August 01, 2005

Missing the routine

Today was the first 'school' day without school for MB, and I would tell she was missing something. I don't know how homeschoolers generally do 'vacation' or whatnot, but she seemed out of sorts today - all day.

I filled the day with errand running as we had a few last minute items to buy for her trip and while I was already out, I figured we knock out a few other things too. One of the things on my list was to buy a bookbag and school supplies for a service project our church is doing. MB asked for a new bookbag also, not an unusual request for her to just ask for something but this time she had a reasonable arguement. Her existing bag is about 2 years old and is showing its age. It is also a Dora bag and she does not watch the show nor is excited about Dora things anymore. (sniff, my baby is growing up) So, since they were inexpensive I let her pick one out. Then K wanted one also, this was a totally unnecessary buy, but so worth it. All afternoon she walked around with that bookbag on. "I want to do school!" She packed books in it, took books out. She and MB took their bags outside and rode in the schoolbus (wagon) and had school on the front steps.

That I enjoyed watching, such a pleasure to see them playing like that. What bothered me today was how MB's mood was, which I can only place as being cranky and unsure. She was trying to push buttons she hasn't pushed since June. I told her on Friday that we were done with school until the end of August, but she acted as though she could not figure out what to do today. Has anybody ever run into these kind of issues when starting a 'vacation?' I have heard about the struggles with starting back up and finding rythyms, but never vacation/days off from school. I would have thought she would be happy.

Tomorrow my mom comes up and the two of them leave Wednesday morning. DH has taken MB and K out for ice cream tonight so that he can spend a little bit of time with her.

E is calling for her bedtime snack.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Dy said...

What about filling some of your regular school time with reading together, or doing a project? She might enjoy being the one to pick out the project, make a list of things she'll need for it... you know, basically "school lite".

We don't do vacations, which started out as not wanting to have the lag time, wanting the boys to develop a learning lifestyle and not think of learning as only done on a set schedule, but it's been quite beneficial on a surprise note b/c the constant upheaval creates enough time away from the more structured learning, and I don't have to sweat it.

Love the bookbags. That's so sweet!
Dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.