Thursday, August 04, 2005

In Portland

My daughter and I are now separated by over 3000 miles. They called last night about 10:45 to let us know that they had arrived. My mom said the flights were uneventful and that security was easiest it had been since before 9/11. She had no problems traveling with MB, which we thought might happen. We were concerned that MB had no picture ID and that with her last name being different that it might raise some red flags. Before they left I prepared a packet for mom that included a copy of MB's birth certificate, SS card, insurance card and vac records, along with a letter giving my mom permission to travel with MB and permission to authorize emergency medical treatment.

MB really enjoyed the actual trip and I was told that she spent most of the 2 1/2 hour layover watching the activity on the tarmac and asking mom what was going on. Landings and takeoffs did not bother her. Mom basically said that it was like traveling with someone who travels once a month. MB enjoyed the surprise that my sister and mom had worked out for her - they rented a DVD player for the flight, and I had packed a couple of her favorite DVDs. This was wonderful for them as their second, longer flight had changed plane styles and instead of having a window seat they were sitting in the middle of a 2-3-2 layout. (Bummer that she could not see the three sisters upon arrival to Portland)

They have a lot of fun activities planned and I have asked mom to take digital photos and have MB email me with notes of what she has done. I will pass them on as I get them.

Only 10 more days until she is home again.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

J-Lynn said...

I'm glad they made it safe and sound, and that she was quite the little traveller! She's going to have so many amazing, unforgettable memories with grandma. Hugs to you until she comes back, I know missing her is hard.

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.