Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Another Completed Project

I can check another DONE!

Today I finished the Attitude Modification Chart (What a fancy name for something so simple). It was quick and cheap. The premise is base upon behavior charts one might sometimes find in a classroom or where I actually first saw it on a story about the Dilley family.

It is a visual reminder to MB, myself and Daddy where MB has been with her attitude on any given day. A push pin will move up and down the chart showing MB what privileges she can have, based on her attitude and behavior (generally with MB it is Attitude).



I also included a list of positive attitude reminders, so that she can be reminded of the behavior we want to see. We will see if it helps you to actually see the effect of her behavior.

How I made it:

I bought a package of 12" square flexible cork from a craft store. Then took some remnant material I had been given for crafts and found a suitable piece to wrap the cork in. I stapled the fabric onto the board.

Then using the drawing feature in Word, I designed the color blocks, the list and the title. Stapled those on and hung it on the wall.



Total cost was around $6.00.

This project also got me thinking about the huge, wall size cork board I have sitting in E's room. It was given to us and has been well used, but I was thinking that I have so many remnant scraps of fabric that I might do a patch-work type design with the different pieces on it and then start using it. Just to make it look a lot nicer on the wall. Of course I still need to find the wall that it will actually fit on.

Peace,

Amy

7 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Wow, great job! ANd what a great idea about the fabric remnant!

Just curious, are you going to make one for "K" as well? I know with my kids they all want the same stuff...lol

Jess

Amy said...

Jess,

I thought about using it with K, but I don't think she would understand the cause and effect right now. We actually have very few problems with K, behavior and attitude. She will have a tantrum every once in awhile, especially when she is hungry or tired. But she handles normal correction and re-direction well.

I know that she will go through different development stages with different issues, and if we start seeing a need I might do something similar, yet more her level. I have heard about someone who has a "stoplight" with red, yellow and green circles to show a child how their behavior has been.

MB is the one that might have issues with K not having one also. But that is life as an older sibling.

Amy

Anonymous said...

would you be willing to share what they say? I can never come up with anything creative without a boost.

Amy said...

Jess,

You asked about everyone having to have the same thing. With the Dilley family (the first sextuplets) they only had one board, but each child was assigned a different colored push pin so that the mother or father could tell where on the ladder there were. So this could easily be used with multiple children.

Amy

Gem said...

I found you via the Denim Jumper, and this looks like an awesome idea! I would echo Sheri, though, to ask what the Attitude Reminder list entails and what priviledges you attach to the different levels of attitude (and what those are as well). We're really struggling with Dd6's attitude. I don't just want to modify her behavior, I want her heart to change. But I would take not yelling at me and stomping off to start with. I keep thinking I've got to nip this in the bud at 6 or it will be awful at 16!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I hopped over via Denim Jumper, too, and would love to hear details about the reminders and the priveledge levels.

Thanks,
Maura

Amy said...

For all you gals and guys who are finding me through the Denim Jumper - I have updated info on the attitude chart on my current blog page.

www.mudpiesandpaint.blogspot.com

Thanks for coming by.

Amy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.