Friday, August 19, 2005

Our Week

This week has actually been a very pleasant week, given what I was expecting and all. I did have the very large, and very detailed project that came in about the same time MB and the family did. In order to give myself the time and organization needed to balance all things, we went ahead and moved right back into our school day schedule. Although the amount of actual schoolwork was somewhat limited.

We have done math (continuing our introduction to money and adding with money), writing practice, SOTW - What is History & What is Archaeology, Geography, and Science. We did not do any phonics or sight words this week, as I am still waffling on the best approach to use with her. Also, we were having such an enjoyable week I just didn't want to blow it this week with one of those scenes.

We also did some health education today with the big girls during which I talked to girls about not touching others in their private area and not having others touch them. And telling someone if they are uncomfortable with the touch and listening when someone says to stop touching them (anywhere, period). DH comes home tonight and is cuddling/tickling K, he gives her bottom a couple of love pats and she tells him "stop touching my booty," he said he just about rolled on the floor laughing.

It felt really good to get back into some type of rhythm and to have all my babies home again. Monday through Thursday we basically did school and household chores in the am. I was able to wrok on the computer for a couple of hours during quiet time, then back to the computer in the evening for work until 12 or so. Then I spent an hour on lesson planning for the next day. I basically got to bed about 1 am.

I finished the project Thursday evening, so today was my day to play catch up on the house, and to just spend some time with the girls. We went to park day today and MB and K each made new friends and had a good time. I had planned on hitting the bookstore after it was over, but it was so hot and we were so pooped, we decided that we would just come home and veg together.

When we got home I jumped on-line for a little bit and ordered the books I was going to try to find at the bookstore. By next week we should have our library stocked with most of the books we need for the next few months, barring the ones I am borrowing from the library.

Then we did some science reading. I am concentrating on mammals right now, specifically canines (dogs) and felines (cats). Because, one we will be getting a new puppy next week, and two they tie in so well in domestication with early people and egyptians for history. The book we used today is a 1976 Childcraft book The Animal Kingdom that my mom had when she taught 2 nd grade. We talked about how animals and plants are different. MB found a false statement in the book and made sure to point it out. The book emphasized that one of the main differences is that animals eat and plants make their own food. MB pointed out the Venus Flytrap as a plant that eats. I need to look it up with her so that we can find out why.

Her comprehension is so awesome, I love that she picks up on things like that. Even though she is not an independent reader, she learns so much.

After science we ended up all together on my bed, where we had the health talk, and then MB wanted me to read more of The Wizard of Oz, our read aloud. It is a children's classic abridged version, but really enjoying it. By the time my voice was about gone, K had fallen asleep and it was time to do some cleaning.

When DH got home, MB and I went to the library to pick up books for the next couple of weeks. We were able to find some very good books to cover archaeology, early man, and wolves. MB also picked out four picture books that she found interesting. It was nice to go out with just her.

We also went together and picked out our new little girl puppy. We could have brought her home tonight but are not ready for her at all. Also, I am taking the girls to visit my family for the first part of next week and did not feel like traveling with a new puppy. So we will get her when we come back on Wednesday. We do not have a name yet. MB suggested Sara, but it just doesn't fit. Maybe something will come to us over the weekend. She is very sweet and pretty calm, when compared to her sibilings, but she will also play and engage with the girls too. She is not skittish, just laid back.

EM is 8 months old today. Last night I heard her start laughing and turned to find her on all fours rocking back-and-forth, totally enjoying the new view and all. She will be crawling soon and really getting into things. I definitely need to start being stricter with the big girls about leaving their things laying about.

Life is good. Everybody is home, we are enjoying each other, lots of books, more books coming and a quick visit to family in a couple of days. I feel so very, very blessed as I head to bed tonight.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Dy said...

What a joyful post! I'm so excited about the puppy. Zorak has been researching breeds and types and 'tudes and you'd think he was six and going through the Sears and Roebuck catalog for his first .22! He is SO excited for the boys to have a puppy. That's their Holy Grail at the end of all this limbo, and he wants to be the knight that presents it to them. It makes me smile, from deep inside, kwim?

Enjoy those precious girls! 8 months turns into 8 years so quickly... *sniffle* And every one has wonderful delights to uncover.

Dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.