Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Belated Valentine's Day

I hope that everyone out there had a nice Valentine's Day - celebrating however it makes you happy. Personally, I have never really enjoyed Valentine's Day - and that isn't because of my husband, as he is really good about remembering. I guess it dates back to middle and high school where you had to paired up with someone on V-day or you were just a really big loser. So everyone would run around for a few weeks to get a bf/gf, regardless of if you really liked the person or not. The bigger the "status" the better. Then right after V-day, everyone would dump each other. It was just such a cruel and emotionally cutting period in adolecence. I guess I just developed this whole - what is so great about the day - attitude that has carried over to my adulthood. I don't want one day to be the only day that I show or tell the people I love how much I care for them.

All that being said, I have two little ones that believe V-day is the tops. It is for them a day filled with pink and red hearts and lots of candy. I want them to enjoy the day, so I put away my prejudices about it and try to figure out how to make it nice for them.

After the electricians left, and yes we now have working lights in our garage and the wiring is done to code, we sat down and made valentines. MB wanted to make one for the mother of the two boys that she plays with. It was just very sweet and even more so because I know this mother is not in the best of spirits right now. She made a few others and then we all made ones for daddy. While working on them I had the idea that DH commuted toay, doesn't have his car and will just have someone bring him lunch today (hamburger or whatever). So we packed up the valentine's and the girls, stopped by the store to pick up some cookies for his co-workers and this really cute dancing/jumping dog that sings "Hot, Hot, Hot" for me to give him, and drove down to where he works. We totally surprised him and were all able to go to lunch together!!

In the evening, when he got home we went right back out to the store and brought home two big packages for the the big girls with a balloon, teddy bear and small box of chocolate. MB and K were in heaven. And it was perfect because earlier in the day when we were riding back from DH's work MB had made the comment that she never gets anything for V-day, which totally isn't true, but this made her day. EM got a small squishy bear and an opportunity to play with the balloons all she wanted. And, moi, I received a large bag of M&Ms - mmmmm.

So it was a good V-day for us even if I did opt out of all the V-day craft and card sharing groups going on.

Oh, and there was more blah, blah, blah cleaning and more blah, blah, blah organizing, and more blah, blah blah moving furniture.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

Kate said...

I totally know what you mean. V-day in middle and high school years was no fun. It was all about who got the most carnations or balloons (our school would sell them) and even if you did get just one, you were "lame". It was just not fun. Thus, it makes me want to homeschool even more for as long as I am able to. I sure hope I can through those impressionable years.
Glad you had a fun time with the kids. :)

Pirate Princess said...

Well, seeing how it's all about celebrating those you love, I think you had a wonderful V-day! :)

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.