Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Our house has been officially listed on the market for more than 24 hours now. I received the notification of it yesterday morning. We have not received any calls to schedule viewings yet. (Desire of Instant Gratification) So, in those moments I break with reality I just *know* that the house is never going to sell. That everybody *hates* it from the pictures. And this is all because I am such a *bad* person.

Then I shake my head, return to reality and realize that it has been less than 24 hours. (Yesterday when this was going on)

So I got out and left. We stayed gone from 10:00 until 3:30. The weather was great. We made it to a meeting, a reminder to myself of what is important. Ran errands, meet a friend for lunch and went to the park. Both lunch at McDs and the park were madhouses. The schools had yesterday as a teacher workday, so the kids were off for their 2nd day. But the girls had fun. Got right into the mix. Although had something funny happen at the park that really reminded me of Jess' story from the other day.

My friend an I were sitting my one of the sand areas watching her little and my EM. K was playing on the slide with a friend she had just made. MB came up to me and said that there were a bunch of girls and boys chasing each other, but that the girls had started kicking at the boys, and my friend's son was a little upset. MB wanted to know whether or not she could kick back to defend her friend.

Of course, I said "No" and that if she didn't like the way the boys and girls were playing with each other then she and her friend needed to go play one of the other play sets (its a big park). That wasn't the answer she wanted to hear, because she wanted to play with these kids, the way they were playing, the way they were talking - they were advertising themselves as the "cool" kids at the park.

We talked about it, rather quickly as MB's attention span warranted. But she went back, did not kick, and apparently they worked it out.

Honestly the behavior of the boys and girls out there did not shock me. It is the way that they tend to play together now - Not that I agree with it at all. It just is. MB cannot change the social interaction structure for K-3rd children, but she is figuring out how to run her own course through those mudy waters. I "appluaded" her for coming to me and even asking whether or not it was okay to kick. She *knows* I don't like that behavior, yet she saw all thee other kids with parents watching them do it. She needed to check and see if this was okay behavior in this setting. And she asked me, she didn't depen on her peer group to tell her what to do.

This was my reason for homescholing. MB as a preschooler was too dependent on her peers to tell her what to like and what not to. I wanted to give her a chance to develop her own opinions and internal rule set before she was allowed to become a feral animal of the public school system. And to see a level of success like that yesterday reinforced to me that what I am doing is not just about the reading, math and science - but it is about playing on the playground, making friends and still being able to be one's own person.

Today I become a soccer mom. MB begins practice for playing on her first team sport. She is very excited. MB loves soccer and since she took that class last fall she has been asking when she can play on a team.

We, of course, have errands to run to finish getting all her gear. And, as beautiful as yesterday was today is low-50's, rain and fog. YUCK! I hate going out in this weather. I really hate taking the kids out in this weather.

Have a great Wednesday --

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.