Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Quickie

It has been busy around here, but kind of a boring busy. Life has just been moving along an we have been working on this and that in the house. There just hasn't been much for public consumption or that isn't eye-lid shutting boring.

When I have gotten time to jump on and check in blogger is down :(

My mom is in town this week and so we are trying to finish up the painting and some of the cleaning. We are still hunting an electrician to re-wire our garage from the lightning strike nearly 6 years ago ( we have just lived with it).

Later this week we are going to a museum for a "brain" exhibit. I am looking forward to that. It looks really interesting and it just happens that we are studying the human body for our science unit this winter.

My mom bought the two big girls new Leapster games that have been entertaining them while we are trying to work on the house. I have to say that I do love these games. Thankfully, my girls are so naturally active that they do not sit like stumps and play on the Leapsters all day long. But the games are fun, interactive and I can get a variety of games to enhance things like writing and drawing (small motor skills) with K, or for MB a Spider-man reading interactive adventure to help build her reading skills doing something fun and somewhat active.

MB's reading is progressing. No major jumps but every few weeks I can see her becoming more and more comfortable. This winter she has moved from the "Frog and Toad" type books, to "Amelia Bedilia" and now somewhat harder early chapter books. I have found a new series that although is too difficult for her to read alone, she is finding interesting enough to work through with me. The series is "The Dragon Slayer Academy" and there are oodles of books in the series.

It has been difficult for me to find the stories that interest MB, because she is into magic and knights, wizards and dragons -- not many early reading books for this genre. Even the picture books use advance language. So, I am excited to find something that is perking her interest a little in the reading area - because I am sure that is what it is going to take for MB to make that leap into comfortable reading.

Well, I need to get back to getting our day's work started.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Amy!
Maybe your daughter would enjoy a series called Pixie Tricks...when my daughter was in 1st grade and just starting to read easy chapter books, she absolutely loved these. Of course, there's always Magic Tree House...they even have a research guide about knights to go with the story set in medieval times. Lots of great reading awaiting your girl! Thanks for your blog - it helps to keep me feel connected to others living the same crazy/fun kind of life I do.

Dy said...

Boring Busy is GOOD! I'm glad you're all okay and moving right along. You've been in my thoughts the past few weeks.

dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.