Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Almost A Day Off

Today was pleasant. I feel like recently I have been really negative on the blog about everything and I just want to share with you something positive for a change.

I woke up early this morning, dang hormones, and was able to spend some time in solitude and reflection before the children woke up. I thought about how much I had moved back into the mindset of my day as drudgery. I love being with my girls, but I have always had to work on the whole "putting the heart in the home," joyfully cleaning and cooking in the love I have for my family (yes, I am kind of overstating it a little - I know its an ideal and its progress not perfection). Still I have found that my perception of my life colors all my attitudes, and when I get down and overextended my perception really goes wonky. When I can be in the frame of mind to remember why I do this all in the first place - because I really do love my husband and my children - then what needs to be done doesn't seem so hard and dreary. So I decided to do one thing for the house, for the family and for me today.

That one thing was right in front of my face today. I opened the refrigerator and realized what a messy, disgusting place it had become. My mother was up this weekend and had filled the frig with leftover containers without lids - which is fine in her own house where she doesn't have kids constantly in an out of the refrigerator - but here it is just an invitation to a disgusting mess. Not to mention all the clutter of jars of stuff that ended up being a bust on the taste-o-meter. So I filled the sink with soapy water and pulled out the over-sized garbage bags and went to work. 2 hours and 2 garbage bags later our frig/freezer is now clutter free and wiped down. Everytime during the day that I have to open the frig it has made me feel good. DH was home today and commented on how good it looks!

Then I got my day off. DH took the day off from work - he was supposed to play in a golf tournament but it was postponed due to the weather. I left about 10:30 to go to a meeting and then a little grocery shopping all by myself. When I got home the girls had been feed lunch, EM was ready for her nap and the big girls were heading out with DH for a special day with him. MB had even managed to complete her math and grammar work for today.

So, EM and I got to nap away the rainy afternoon. DH came home with the girls and he had taken them shopping at the outlet mall and had bought them each a beautiful easter/summer church dress that fit perfectly. I think that maybe he should take them clothes shopping more often.

We have fed them all an early dinner, DH has headed out to help a friend with a project and I am holding down the fort for a couple of hours. Today has been a very positive day. Now to decide on my project for tomorrow.....

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Dy said...

It sounds like such a delightful day!

You're right about the attitude. It's a good reminder for all of us. Thank yoU!

Dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.