Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Spot o' Tea?

Tis' the time of year when I start seeing people discussing curriculum choices and school planning for next year. Homeschool conventions are upon us and stars dance in front of our eyes as we imagine how great and wonderful our plans for next school year are.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't really have any major additions or changes I want or need to make for next year. If something wasn't working I probably would have already thrown it out an tried something different. Being that it is "our" school I don't have to wait until the next year to try something different. I am happy with all of our subjects and curriculum we are doing. I do want to add in Latin, and it will probably be early next fall when we do it. I want to find an astronomy/outer space program to do this summer. So, nothing major in the mix there.

Right now the thing about school/our day that is working on me is our "structure." I am happy with a relaxed, take our time and enjoy what we are doing approach - but too much of a good thing can become bad. This winter with all sorts of things that have been going on, and I have lots of excuses, we have become so relaxed that we are like spaghetti that has been cooked 15 minutes too long - which we all know is just - yuck.

I am searching for balance and flexibility. How much is enough and how little is too little. I wish, with my love of reading, that it could be as easy as adding in a couple extra read aloud/snuggle reads in the day. But, MB and K just don't enjoy those times. I pull out a book and pat the sofa next to me and they "poof" disappear.

So, I am watching and trying to explore those things that grab at them. They love too cook, I do to - I just hate my kitchen. It doesn't work for more than one cook and always ends in some arguement. But, I have been thinking that an afternoon tea time after EM's nap, but before MB and K play with friends would be a good way to end our school day. Spend time together preparing the snack and then eat it together. Maybe, slowly build into it time for things we don't normally get into like music appreciation or a daily discussion time.

I have some other ideas, but if I can start with one thing at a time right now maybe I won't get so overwhelmed with everything else.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.