Saturday, March 04, 2006

I'm Proud Of My Girl

Today was MB's first soccer game. The first time she has been involved in a structured, competitive event. Okay, I was a little worried after watching her first soccer practice on Wenesday. She is playing in a 6-under league, which means she is playing with other kids ranging from just turning 4 this spring to age 6, like her. MB is an athlete. She has always had excellent balance, speed and body control. She loves and excels at anything physical. And, with her competitiveness I was worried at how she would respond to playing with and against others who are just not like that, or are much younger.

She did so well, and I am not talking about her actual playing (which was very good as well). But she had patience with those on her team, she helped out some of the "lost" players by stopping them and turning them to go to the right goal, she tried to pass the ball - which was a little difficult being that all the kids just surround and follow the ball wherever it goes. When one of the other kids fell down and began to cry she went back and helped him up, wiping of his knees and back. She cheered and high-fived for everyone.

I just loved watching this aspect of my daughter, something that I see with her sisters but wasn't very sure if I would see it in a competitive environment. She still cared what the score was (even though they weren't keeping score) and was proud to announce that the score ended up tied so no one lost.

In one sense what made this just a touch sweeter for me was just prior to the game I was talking with another mother about homeschooling. She had considered it but determined that socially kids needed to be in school and she could work on additional academics at home with her children. It was just very reaffirming to me to watch MB out there with her teammates and the other players and know homeschooling isn't only about the academics or what I can teach her, homeschooling is about socialization too - the type that can build up a 6 year old to care and want to help others who are smaller and younger than her.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.