Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I Will Pretend

It is 84-degrees, but I will pretend that it is Fall.

We started getting back on track today, as all of us have been off so far this week. I have decided to take Dy's advice about living intentionally, and determined that I would grit my teeth and make this a happy day for all of us.

I started this morning by offering up the girls' favorite breakfast: homemade oatmeal with real maple syrup and brown sugar. They helped me make it and we had a lovely breakfast while watching The Magic School Bus.

After they finished eating and I finished folding the laundry from last night, we all headed back for a group dressing activity. Keep them with me, and keep them happy. They, for some reason, love to get dressed with me.

School time started, and with it the first sign of a crack in our good day. Instead of fighting it, I decided to let MB and K pick their first activities, while I fed EM. K, played with the shape blocks while MB decided to make her own map of the Nile River region. Pretty good choices all around.

Reading time went well, MB even forgot to think about every little thing and started to read, at least for 4 lines before she realized what she was doing. Sometimes if I could just take that little analytical mind out for a few minutes. :)

Math time, also went well. Still review and MB tried to make it into an addition lesson, but we really did stay on track. She still has a small piece of the assignment that she decided to do as "homework" because her friends have homework.

We read the next reading in SOTW, "making mummies" and then looked through a couple of our extra books at all the different illustrations of mummies being preserved. She answered the questions and she was off for the rest of the morning.

After MB and I finished up, it was time for K and I to work one-on-one. Today was alphabet day. We sang the alphabet song and pointed to the different letters as we sang. Then K, was able to point at the letters and I told her which ones were which. Then we read her Little People Farm Book.

Next was computer time for both girls. MB chose her Scooby Doo Egypt CD-Rom, while K worked with her LIttle People. I began preparing lunch and dinner. Lunch - Chicken Noodle Soup.

For dinner we are having a crock-pot creation of pork chops simmered with green chili/tomatoes, corn, and black beans. I also had MB help me make our first Fall batch of bread to have with dinner. I also made a couple of french loaves to eat with spaghetti later this week. We normally don't make bread in the summer because it is just so hot in the kitchen normally, so I am really excited to get back to making bread.

While the dough rose (twice) we played games, played outside and did some cooperative housekeeping.

Now they have gone to the park with daddy, while I sit here smelling the simmering dinner and fresh baked bread. I have started the second panel for MB's poncho. I am imagining Fall, since I can see it coming on the weather map.

Was the day perfect? No, but much closer to what I would like. It has taken a lot of energy, and some gritting, but we end the day on a happier note than recently - and I do not have a headache, yet :)

Enjoy your evening.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.