Monday, October 24, 2005

No Snappy Title

I am here and I am doing okay.

Don't really have much to share about today - as we unschooled. But I did do a (as in one) load of laundry and swept. Yep, my house is going to be so ready for that Co-OP on Wednesday.

MB pointed out something interesting to me today at lunch time. K was drinking a store brand Ginger Ale and she was drinking a Sprite. She had me look and confirm that yes it did say that it had the same amount of fluid ozs. in each can. Then she showed me how the Ginger Ale can was just the slightest bit taller and narrower than the sprite. I would have never noticed. "That is because two different shaped objects can have the same volume, mommy."

MB is reading, really reading. Not quite fluently - but she is putting longer and longer stretches together before she has to stop an sound out a word. She doesn't freak out if she doesn't already know the word an instead says to herself "break it down into smaller parts" Tonight she was upset when I came home from a meeting and it was because she wanted to read to me and daddy had sent her to bed. So we curled up in my bed and she read me a story.

I love that I am getting back to enjoying my children again and actually being able to "be" with them without feeling like I am going to shatter in a million pieces.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Wow, she sounds like a different little girl Amy!!! She's changing and improving so much! And you are seeing and rewarding it, that's great! She's a smart little girl to notice the volume thing, I don't think I knew what "volume" meant until I was in college...lol

Enjoy your tomorrow - I'm so glad you feel better. HUGS

J-Lynn said...

Oh and I wanted to share a tip that helps a disorganized procrastinator like me. When I have to get a lot done in the house I set my oven timer. 15 minutes of dishes then STOP when it beeps, even if there's just.one.more.dish.left. Then put another 15 and clean counter tops and the stove. STOP when it beeps. Then give yourself a 15min computer or tv or reading break. Then resume another 15 on another SPECIFIC task (like sweeping). This works for my kids too, it makes it a game to them. For me it helps me keep focused and on task and on the little things since I tend to be overwhelmed with the big picture.

Good luck!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.