Monday, October 31, 2005

Re-Focusing

It always takes my body time to adjust to the new time in the fall and spring. So I find myself up early this morning with only little EM for company. The other two I managed to keep up late enough last night to adjust their bedtime.

As things in other areas of my little world begin the calm, I am trying to refocus on the things in my life that need to take a priority - namely homeschool. I am ready for Fall Break to be over and to start building to some type of schedule again.

I love being flexible and relaxed. It allows me to be open to the girl's learning moments and moods. But it seems when we are too flexible and too relaxed other things around the house do not get done and I am just moody because I just can't find a lot of 'mommy' time to recharge.

Here are the programs we will be using for the 2nd Half of the Fall:

Horizons Grade 1 Math
SOTW Vol 1
My World Science: Woods
Little Book Devotion: Self-Esteem

Other things we don't use a 'set' curriculum for

Reading - whatever I can get MB to read aloud for me
Phonics - impropmtu white board lessons and various worksheets, Study Dog 1 (K) and Study Dog 2 (MB)
Writing - Various copywork projects, and lots of self-directed creative practice

So, I guess today I will begin again to set aside 2 hours every morning for focused school. This is the time I can make sure we do math, history and science each week. The rest of the day, will be relaxed and open to following the children and their various rabbit trails. The reading, phonics and writing always seem to be done during this period and on into bedtime.

This is the very routine we had fallen into earlier this Fall that I was so comfortable with, I am hoping that it will not take much to restart it.

I better go get the day started if I want to work on this routine.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.