Saturday, October 08, 2005

Sense and Sensibility

In an effort to read some classic books that I had not had a chance yet to read, I picked up Sense and Sensibility at the library a few weeks ago. I finally started it earlier this week. I have heard so many raving about it across web, that I was actually very disappointed in it. At least until this evening. For four nights I struggled through it. Small print and heavy concentration was required on my part to follow the conversations. It was all so proper and prim and so heavily leaning towards how much $$ everyone had - that I just could not get into it.

Today at lunch I picked it back up to read while the girls were out with daddy. I got to the part where the sisters are in London and I was hooked. I proceeded to finish the last half of the book this evening. The girls were playing so well and the reading was going so well, we just kind of *forgot* about bedtime tonight.

I enjoyed the last half of the the book so much more than the beginning. It will not rank up there with Don Quixote which often had me laughing outloud and waking hubby. But it was a good read, and I would assume, an interesting view of English society during this time. What struck me the most was how unproductive most of the men and women were, especially the men. The constant talk about how well someone could live off the interest of their savings. I am very glad that the two men who 'won' actually had careers and industry.

I am still working my way through Jane Eyre, but do not feel any press to finish it. Probably because I loved the abridged version I owned in middle school and high school. I know what happens - now I am reading the unabridged version to discover how much I missed the first times through.

All, in all I am enjoying reading and rereading some of these classics, while rereading many of the children's classics to the girls. One side benefit I have discovered is the need for fewer trips to the library for myself. I tend to burn through current fiction and can read 5 novels in as many days. But because the classics and histories and biographies often require a much higher level of comprhension and thought they last me much longer.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

J-Lynn said...

I loved Jane Austins, "Manfield Park". I haven't read Sense & Sensibility yet. It took me a few days to get into the writing and language style but once I "switched" my brain into classic mode I dove into it insatiably. My blog even took on a classical writing tone during that time...LOL It permeated me. ;-)

I've never read Don Quixote either and have heard mixed reviews. I'll have to get that one under my belt. I am just like you, through novels in a day and it's a nice challenge to have something last longer!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.