Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Two Things

I am just a regular posting machine today.

They might be a few people coming over here from my link I put up concerning MB's Attitue Chart for a little behavior modification. I have been asked what privileges I assign to the different levels, and my expectations are for certain things.

First off I should say the privileges totally reflect those activities that my daughters find to be most important in their lives (not necessarily my personal thoughts) an as such provide the best leverage. Each person would have to think about what their own children would respond to.

I chose to go with six levels, as opposed to 10.

Yellow (highest) Can go on special trips and errands. All full privileges.

Purple (this is the level of expectation, yellow above is for steady above and beyond) Free Computer and TV time during free play. May go to friends’ houses.

Blue Computer and TV limited to Mom choices. Ride bike and scooter. Have friends over.

Peach Play in the yard and play with Leapster and CD player.

Green Read books, draw, do quiet play and art projects in bedroom.
(NO ELECTRONICS)


Pink (lowest) Quiet time in bedroom. Extra Chores.

I should say that she has the rights and privileges of all levels at and below her current level. She has only been as far down as Green once since the inception of the chart. I also do not have set times during the day that we sit and move the push pin up or down. Instead I try to keep an eye out for good behavior an respond, just as I would when she starts to push the buttons.

Our list of expectations are:

Use nice words


Use an inside voice


Share with sisters and others


Listen to Mommy and Daddy


Obey the first time


Keep hands and feet to yourself


Do your chores


Do your schoolwork


Surprise someone by doing
something special


I have tried to keep them positive, instead of dwelling on what "not" to do.

If you would like more information or would like to know where I stole the idea from (Dilley Sextuplet family) visit http://www.quintland.com/dilley/ladder.html


Okay, now for the fun suff!

I got to go to the library by myself! It was a quick 20 minute visit, but I had done my homework on the online catelogue before I went. Can you believe that all 7 copies of The Pilgrim's Progress was actually checked out, along with every single copy of Pride and Prejudice.

What I did come home with was:

A Portrait of Jesus - Joseph F. Girzone

This Catholic priest turned writer has had a large influence on the development of my personal faith. He provides very interesting points to chew on and think about. He is also the author of the Joshua books.

A History of the Wife - Marilyn Yalom

from the book cover: ...a study of laws, religious practices, economic patterns, and political consciousness that have affected generations of wives;
Doesn't that sound interesting. It is a tomb, so it might take me a while to digest.

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

I have not read this since high school. I thought that I would re-read it.

The Lilac Bus - Maeve Binchy

For those nights that I don't have two brain cells left to rub together but still want a good read. I have enjoyed every book by her. It is a little more in depth than standard chick lit, but not so heavy.


The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Because I am trying to become better self-educated, and no where to start but with the master himself.

The Visionary Christian - C.S. Lewis

Another christian whom I really enjoy and learn a lot from his writings, fiction and non-fiction. This is a book in which they have pulled specific passages from The Chronicles of Narnia, Space Trilogy and The Screwtape Letters.
By the way if you have never rea The Screwtape Letters, I would highly recommend it. It is funny, and cuts to the bone about modern day christianity.


Off to do some reading!!

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

Gem said...

Those sound great! I like the idea of focusing on what is expected instead of what not to do.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Amy, I have never been able to read through The Screwtape Letters. :) I love C.S. Lewis, and I've been working my way through his writings. But when I try to read that one, it feels sinister rather than funny, and I'm constantly trying to flip everything around in my head to remember who the "Enemy" is. OTOH, my husband loves it, and it's the only C.S. Lewis book he's managed to finish. :) Maybe I'll try it again someday.

Now I'm going to have to go take a peek at Joseph F. Girzone's books.

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.