Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Schooling In a Playroom

Someone, not online, once asked me how I handle schooling in the same area that we also use as the play area. We do not have any problems with it, probably because I consider just about any toy educational in some way. It also allows me to keep an eye on the little ones when I am working one-on-one with MB.

For K and EM, play right now is their learning. With the right toys at their disposal, anything they pick up is a learning experience. One of those things that makes me so happy during the school day is when MB and I are working on something and I look up to see K playing with a puzzle, or matching up cards or sewing with the sewing cards. To watch EM explore blocks or or her board books. Other times, MB or I may hop and pull out a toy that ends up making the perfect manipulative. Truly though this isn't the most common occurrence, but it happens enough to make me happy with the way homeschooling with two young ones is going for us.

Today was one of those happy days. After the initial reluctance for 'school' today, we settled down and burned through math and the reading lesson. While MB and I worked, K pulled out an alphabet book and the little play computer and proceeded to find the letters on the keyboard. For 25 minutes she did this - "here is a J, here is a K," etc. I would have missed this if the little girls were playing somewhere else during this time.

MB also decided that instead of an oral narration for history, she wanted to try to write a summary.




I helped her with the spelling :), but she created the sentence herself, an I chose to leave it alone. After writing this sentence, she decided to dictate the rest of her summary. But I am so pleased that (1) she wanted to write, and (2) she used lowercase.

The rest of the day was good. We have spent a lot of time in just fun play and talking about things. The discussion in the car today is "why are you worried about gas prices? Why do they keep going up? Will they ever go down?" Wonderful questions, but how do you explain consumer economics and natural diseasters, and human greed to a 5 year old.

Free play is just about over and We are going to clean up the house for daddy.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.