Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Back to the Grind and Other House Stuff

I should probably break this into two posts, but since I am being lazy I won't.

We received really good news today. We got a loan!!!!!! We have a prequal letter for any house and full approval for the house we are actually interested in at this time. I was amazed when I heard back from our bank this afternoon, because I had just dropped the loan application there at 11:30 this morning. I thought he was calling to let me own gently after looking over the application and finally stopped laughing. Yeah - I really din't have much faith that we were going to get the loan from our credit union, they still won't let me have a creit card. But, no - we have the loan. So to sum up where we are and the decision we need to make:

1. We have a house that we like. That is the right size and priced somewhat lower than it should be due to the '70s decor. It has had inspections and the major things are fairly new and working.

2. We don't mind making cosmetic changes as long as we can live and function in the house while doing it

3. We have been informed by two reputable realtors in the area that our house is in good shape and should sell within a month with only minor repairs and cleaning to prepare it. We should also be able to get what we need out of the sell. (Although not as much as I really kind of wanted)

4. The bank has approved us for a loan and locked us in at 5.25% for the next 60 days.

So, what is holding us back?? Fear. I fear that this house won't sell, no matter what others have said. Of course, I feared that we wouldn't get a loan either. So, I guess I can't trust my fears too much. I wonder how I am possibly going to keep my house clean and decluttered while it is on the market. Three kids, two dogs and a lazy nature. Recovery, homeschooling, life and trying to actually maintain my house in 'show' order.

We may or may not have more news on this front later this week. We have some hard thinking to do.

In the midst of all of this we have restarted school again after the holiday break. Yesterday was our first day back and we have had no problems these last couple of days (knocking as hard as I can on my wood desk). We went to MB's science class at the museum yesterday. She really enjoyed the class and had fun. I was pleased with how well K and EM did playing in the museum and listening to me while we waited. MB really wanted to stay after the class, but we had arrived early and visited most of the exhibits and I was really, really hungry. So, next week we are going to take a picnic lunch and stay after the class.

After we came home we had lunch and then started working in the new reading workbook I am introducing. MB loved it. It does not replace our read aloud times, but gives her the workbook format she likes while focusing on reading comprehension. I am hoping that this gets us over the hump from phonics (sounding everything out) to fluent reading. We are also continuing the dolche word practice that I began late last fall. We are using flashcards and a workbook. Each week we are doing 2 units (about 10 words). And we are continuing the horizons math program, which so far we still like.

These are the three daily actvities that I see us doing. MB enjoys it and it allows her to practice working independently, which is a good thing for MB.

I need to get to the library to pick up books to start our science unit on the human body and ancient chinese history. But with the chaos we might be experiencing over the couple of weeks trying to get the house in shape I am almost afraid to bring library books into the house.

That is life and the inmates are starting to become a little cranky and I fear for an uprising roon.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Dy said...

Never, never let fear rule your decisions or your heart!

That's it. That's all the sage advice I have for today. Like I said to someone else this week, just hold hands, take a deep breath and dive in. You can do it - together! :-)

I'm so excited for you guys, and schooling sounds like you've found a groove that works. YAHOO! (Isn't that a wonderful feeling?)

Enjoy your wonderful wintertime with those precious girls. And keep us updated on the house front!

Dy

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.