Friday, January 27, 2006

Dragging

This morning I woke up physically and emotionally drained. I knew that the stress of the previous couple of weeks was going to catch up with me - and it has. I am wiped out.

DH putit succintly last night when he came in from the garage an looked around the den (the other place we are piling boxes) and said that I must have already packed about 20 boxes (most of them big boxes) and yet it looks like we have barely touched the house. "That is scary" were his words. And that is draining. I am alternating wildly from just wanting to trash 80% of our belongings and furniture to not wanting to get rid of anything.

I am doing this wild speed packing, when I know that it might be better if I went out and bought 5 larger plastic storage bins for each of us in which to store keepsakes. You know, those things that no longer have a place in my house and everyday life, but which provide our personal histories. Things like my "prom mugs" those mugs that I showed up to the prom for 30 minutes to receive to prove I was actually there before heading over to whatever party(s) was happening. Each of the five of us have things that we don't need to get rid of, but don't really need to be taking up room in our home. I have never got around to making up keepsake boxes.
And, right now I don't want to take the time to sort and think about the stuff as I pack it.

Other things that are draining my life energy at this time are all the little things that are going wrong. A few days ago I waslked into the garage to find that the puppy had chewed through one of the boxes holding my china - a big 8-inch hole that had paper wrapped china falling out of it and one of my dessert plates on the ground. Then caught the puppy chewing a hole in the carpet of the den (the one carpet we were not going to do anything with). Yesterday Brianna (the older dog) cut her tail on something and then ran around the house wagging her tail and rubbing it up against doorways and walls - so now we have swipes and spatters of blood on our walls from one end to the house to the other - it looks like a brutual crime has taken place. And, also yesterday, I went to move some of the unopened paint cans out of my way in the den and found that one of them had apparently cracked or split open in the bottom seam and leaked primer paint all through the carpeting.

All of these things are fixable or cleanable, except maybe the carpet, which we can deal with in come way. But they make the house look even more like we have done nothing. I can't see progress, even though I do know it is there. And, that just makes the fatigue even worse.

I don't know what I am going to do today. I am going to try to keep it lite. Spend some time with the kids, call some friends and get some uplifting - just do something different today.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Admin said...

When I can't see progress, I take before and after pictures. Sometimes seeing the picture at the end of the day proves to me that something really was done.

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.