Tuesday, January 10, 2006

That is Why There Was a Line

I woke up this morning feeling energized and actually ready for the day. Yipeee! So after breakfast we hopped in the car and began running errands. First stop Post Office - not a parking spot to be found and people lined up out the door. I pulled through wondering what was up with that. Our post office isn't that busy the week before Christmas. Can you tell that I have not been watching the news. Postage went up over the weekend - where was I?

Needless to say I did not chose to stand in line with my three children in tow. I will just have to go by tomorrow for stamps - because I really need to get bills out tomorrow.

Next stop library. Honestly, I have been kind of avoiding the library recently. EM managed to get her hands on a book before Christmas and just tore it up before I realized what she was doing. I sorta forgot about it for awhile, even though I have been meaning to take it in and face the "fury." Since it has been so long I decided to order a replacement of the book to take in as an apology. So, I am waiting for it to come. Anyway, found out today that while the library doesn't really care how much in fines you keep amassing, if you don't return a book after5 months they don't let you check out anymore books. I find that out standing at the self-checkout with at least 25lbs of books (I know this because it kept trying to tip over the stroller with EM in it). I tell my sob story to the librarian on duty and she lets me check out the books, although this means I don't get to do a final review of the books the girls put in the bag. So, I am sure we came home with more books than I meant to. But we have more books.

Errands finished and home for lunch. Eat, put EM down for nap and begin schoolwork. We managed to: (1) reading comprehension workbook; (2) Review sight words and introduce 10 more for the week; (3) Begin Ancient China History Unit. MB did not want to do math today, which is a real switch from normal. Since this isn't generally a problem with her, I did let it slide today - but told her that tomorrow she was going to have to do 2 lessons.

After we finished the "school work", MB really wanted to begin one of the crystal growing kits that she received for Christmas. I have been gently trying to dissuade her since I am trying to reduce some of our clutter - but she has hung on. So I figured we can let it grow for a couple of weeks at least if we do it today - so we did. MB chose to try to grow a "Frosty Diamond." She listened to the instructions, which is kind of a newer thing with her. She does not tolerate me trying to get her to listen to the full instructions - she wants me to read them and then just tell her what to do. But, we read instructions and talked about measurement. She collected rocks for the bases and cleane them. She did most of the measurement for the experiment. It was very nice, it makes me think that it is time that we stepped up more kitchen experiments, after we move.

While we were doing the crystal experiment, K had found one of the empty packing boxes, crawled insie of it and was having the time of her life coloring in one of her "workbooks." Since she wanted to do her school when I finished with MB, I told MB to find one of her library books and have quiet reading time for 15 minutes. Then K and I played a couple of games and looked through one of her library books.

The afternoon was playtime. The weather was wonderful and we went out to swing and run. I blew the humongous pile of leaves off the back deck and then read for a little while. Then I found out that I had the go ahead to start my new freelance project, and oh yeah they need it as fast as I can get it to them. So, I came inside and did set-up before EM woke.

So the rest of the day was more playing, working as I got moments, cooked dinner and cleaned off the kitchen table (again).

It is way too late, and I really did not mean to write this much. I must go to bed if I am going to function at the museum tomorrow.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

J-Lynn said...

Have a great time at the museum tomorrow! Today sounded like a wonderful day. I really hope tomorrow is just as wonderful and the girls crash early tomorrow night and you can get some work done.

Thanks for doing the survey, I enjoyed reading it!

HUGS

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.