Thursday, January 19, 2006

Organizing Help - More Move Stuff

I am starting to become really aggravated with this whole move idea thing. Obviously patience during times of uncertainty of life's path is not one of my strong points. In fact, one would probably say that I replace patience with obsession. Anyway, I am trying to get back on track with the rest of my life.

DH is looking at houses in the town he is working in. I guess we have not given up on the hunt, but on the other hand my mental health cannot continue to take the stress of feeling like this is going to happen right this moment -- no, no wait. So, I think I have decided that I am going to have to live in our existing house and treat it like a rental home while we search. Paint most rooms back to neutral colors and deep clean - then just live in. No other major work.

I don't know if anyone understands how tough this is going to be for me. Since we moved into this house 8 years ago I have either been in the planning stages of a project or in the midst of a home improvement project. So, to just Be, seems like the hardest thing in the world.

That being said, regardless my house needs organizing help. I have done things here and there. But I would really like to organize the kitchen to make it more productive for a small space. Things like adding those extra wire shelves into the really tall cabinets, maybe a pot rack to get rid of the awful jumble of pots and pans. I want to buy a smaller microwave since ours is huge and 13 years old. I want to buy a new toaster over that I can mount under the cabinets. But, we are getting the house ready and getting rid of stuff - so can I really get away with adding more? But, we don't know if the search is going to take a year or more.

This is what is driving me crazy.

So, if anyone out there has experience in this or lives in rental property can you let me know how you handle this type of thing.

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I'm in similiar shoes to you at the moment and have been reading your blog for that very reason. I can relate. I am also homeschooling and selling a house. We started the decluttering process last year and moved out as much stuff (to my parents garage) as was humanly possible. This makes it sooo much easier to keep the house spotless during inspections. Plus once all that stuff is in storage there is no turning back and changing minds on the selling front. It keeps us going forward until this stressful process is over. I'm always keeping my new beautiful BIGGER home in mind. We're on day 3 of being "on the market" and I'm ready to sell now!! Constantly being "on call" for an inspection is very stressful as is chasing after the little ones to keep the house clean! But I just keep reminding myself of our goal...that new beautiful BIGGER home. One step at a time and keep your eyes and heart set on your goal is the best advice I can offer. (We haven't got to the house hunting stage yet. That step is next for us...next week we'll start the hunt...fingers cross). Good luck with it all.
Tracey

Pirate Princess said...

You have to have faith that it will all work out...

We just moved in Sept. after only living at the new house a yr. - I was so glad I hadn't wasted time and money on the property.

I would say instead of looking at it as just "BE-ing", look at it as an opportunity to focus on some other type of project. Redirect your energy into something else. And I sure wouldn't buy new right now... wait until you know what kind of space you'll be living in next. You might not like what you bought in the new house.

My 2 cents. Hugz!

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.