Thursday, January 19, 2006

Nice Thursday

It was a nice Thursday - although I kept wanting to think that it was Friday. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. I have been so busy doing this and that or driving here or there, that I am ready for the weekend so that DH will be home and I might be able to concentrate on something for longer than 5 minutes before being interrupted.

I had planned on getting up this morning and spending the hour to an hour-and-a-half that I normally have before anyone is up working on my work project. Boy was I surprised to find the two big ones already up and snuggling together on the sofa watching The Little Einsteins. The moment my feet touched the family room floor they were ready for breakfast. So, needless to say I did not get to do any computer work this morning.

We had gymnastics this morning. Always fun for the big girls. With EM walking running now, a lot of exercise for me keeping her from running out into the gym area. Boy, was she unhappy with me for finally locking her in the little play area for the last 15 minutes. But she would not let me hold her and when she was down, she was off running.

For Christmas MB received the Math Missions game for her Leapster. It seems to have been a popular game as a couple other friends also got it for Christmas. With that added incentive of how far have you gotten and how do you do level X, MB has played it alot in her down time. Basically they have all these different math 'problems' for 1-3r grade math. They do these problems to earn $$ to play other games. I have noticed that MB has made a huge jump in her money skills recently, but today in the car she floored me when she started to mentally do 3-digit addition. Carrying numbers and all that in her head. I really need to find a game for that thing that requires her to read to play!!

After gymnastics we came home for lunch and I let the girls watch The Sword In The Stone again. They love that movie and MB really has enjoyed the various King Arthur picture books that we have checked out of the library. I have in reserve an early chapter book that is a King Arthur and Merlin book that I hope will perk her reading interest once she is further along in her sight words. This allowed me to jump on the computer for an hour or so. After that long plugging in numbers I have to take an eye break - but K and EM had fallen asleep. So I figured no walk today and came into the den and (gasp) laid down on the sofa and closed my eyes.

MB woke me about 3:00 to ask if she could play with some friends. So we had kids come over this afternoon to play in the back yard, while I again, worked on the computer. (I really want to get this project over and finished with)

During this time DH called to tell me about the house he went to see today. He liked it, of course, and again I explained about our price range, of which this one was outside off. But, we did talk. which is something that we never seem to be able to do around here in the evening. And it looks like his plan is to want to put the house on the market in the next 3-4 weeks. So, fingers crossed we get it all done. The list of things to do is just terrifying to me. But, I am so, so relieved to actually have a plan to go with. That one of us has actually made a decision. Yeah - I can finish this project and really start packing up boxes.

Tonight, MB, K and I became accidental star gazers. I went out to get something out of the garage and saw a "shooting" star. I made my quick wish and did not think anything of it. About 20 minutes later I had to go bback out and saw another one in nearly the same location. I came inside and dragged the girls out with me. MB was the one that saw the next one. There were a couple more before we came inside. I jumped on-line to try to figure out what we saw but there really isn't supposed to be much going on right now. Watching all the stars got them interested in MB's planitarium globe - so I replaced the batteries and after their reading, the girls went to bed watching their sky and listening to the "Star" CD that came with it.

A little while ago I peeked in and the CD and Globe were off - they had listened to the end. But they were together in K's bed and MB was helping K with her Letter Factory Leapster game. As much as they try to drive each other crazy during the day, it is so wonderful to see moments like this.

What one may notice, yet again about our day is the lack of anything organized. We have workbooks and very, very relaxed lesson plans. But, boy do our days tend to go off on these tangents and when I look back on it I realize how much we have done.
- 3digit addition in the car
- Sight Word "hopping" game
- Checking on Crystal growing experiment
- Magnet - Science Kit
- Guitar and Lap Harp practice
- Read 5 pages in an Amelia Bedelia book.
- Astronomy (and some greek myths as part of the informational CD)
- Gymnastics

The girls also did coopoerative play, built a blanket fort, set-up a little people town and played with EM.

But, we didn't do anything today. I worked on the computer and took a nap. How could we have had time to do anything?

It was a good Thursday. And looking at the clock I realize that it is now Friday.

Peace,

Amy

1 comment:

Kate said...

That's so right - just when you *think* you didn't do anything, you can look back and see how you really did (like your list!). That's the beauty of homeschooling. They are always learning even without texts! Have a wonderful weekend :)

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.