Sunday, July 31, 2005

Freezer Clean Out

One of the chores that I got to today was cleaning out our storage freezer. Earlier this week I brought home my "good-buy" ice cream at $3.00 off per and could barely fit it into the freezer. Since I have such a hard time finding anything to cook in my house I figured it was about time to find out what I was actually storing. It stunned me the amount of food I have squirrled away. I shouldn't be too surprised, as this tends to be one of my habits. When I find something we eat on sale for a good price I tend to overbuy. You never know, they may not ever put food on sale again, right :).

I cleaned out and inventoried what we had. And we will not be going to the grocery store for anything more than milk and cheese this month.

2 bgs shrimp, 5 lbs bacon, 9 bkfst sausage links, 2 baggies diced ham, 2 ham bones, 1 lb grd turkey, 1lb cube steak, 8 chicken thighs, 9 pork chops, 1 bag flounder fillets, 4lbs grd beef, 1 lb round steak, 5 lbs italian sweet sausage, 1 box fried popcorn shrimp, 1 bag breaded fish fillets, 3 pkgs turkey hot dogs, 1 box hamburger patties, 4 lbs chicken breasts, 2 boxes corn dogs, 1 lrg bag fish sticks, 5 1/2gal ice cream, 1 container homemade ice cream, 3 boxes popsicles, 1 box ice cream sandwhiches, 3 baggies diced green peppers, 4 baggies of assorted sweet peppers, 2 baggies yellow squash, 2 bags stir fry veggies, 1 bag grated zuchinni, 2 bags broccoli, 1 bag strawberries, 2 bags of 'fresh' picked blueberries, 1 bag stuffed shells, 1 bag cheese tortellinis, 1/2 box waffles, 3 frozen lasagnas, 1 chicken tetrazinni, 4 containers ham&bean soup, 4 pizzas, 5 pie crusts.

I really and truly am embarrased by this amount of food that I have on a whole just forgotten about. This list doesn't include the food I did have to trash because it was so old and had already turned.

Then there is our pantry, I have not done an inventory there yet, but considering how much falls on my head when I open it, I figure we are good there also. So our goal this month is to live entirely on what we have in the house already and see how much $ we can save this month.

Peace,

Amy

No comments:

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.