Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Joining up

I admit, I am a lurker. Whether on-line or in real-life I tend to lurk around the edges. I am not a joiner. I am extremely shy and not very comfortable with my interpersonal communication to make sure that I don't break any etiquette rules. I don't lurk for any strange or negative reasons, just because I tend not to have anything to add.

I have, in general learned to live with this particular quirk. But, now I am homeschooling and I know it is becoming much more important that I reach out and contact others that maybe in the same position I am. In real life I have joined our local hs group to be able to participate in coops and playgroups, but as of yet have not made any real personal connections with anyone. Co-ops have come up that I thought would be interesting, but I am frozen when it comes to actually contacting the leader to sign up. This is not good for MB and K, but I just can't seem to gather up my courage to do it.

I also need to join the state organization so that I can receive my hs card, which will save me $$ on museums, activities and at stores in the area. But, I have not done it yet. This maybe more procrastination than being shy.

On-line, it is also a problem. I love to read through the WTM board, and have posted a couple of times, but I don't feel comfortable posting that much. Homeschoolers there have such wonderful insight and experience, that I learn a lot. I am kind of scared of being yelled off the board for doing something wrong. Instead, I read through, often finding others with similar experiences and then hunt up resources or books that are recommended to others. If I am faced with a problem I generally head off for research, rather than ask another person.

I also love to read blogs. I rarely comment. It never bothered me that I did that until I started my own blog and realized how strange it feels to watch the counter go up, yet never hear from someone else that is reading my thoughts. And, yet I still rarely comment because I feel like my comments come out making me seem like a total turd.

Anyway I need to start joining-up and coming out in the open. It is no longer just me, but now it is my own children's education that is affected. I hereby make a committment to join the state homeschool group by the end of the week. I will also comment on at least 2 blogs a day. So watch out someone may get a run-by Hi! soon. The connections I make could be wonderful.

And, as far as WTM board, well I think I will just keep reading for now. Some of those homeschoolers are tuff :)

Peace,

Amy

2 comments:

J-Lynn said...

Kids are good for making you come out of your shell. I am an extrovert but rarely go anywhere without at least one child to divert my attention to if things get uncomfortable. lol

Good for you Amy. I do have a secret pet peeve of no one commenting on my blog which is why I try hard to do it on others. I appreciate you coming out of your shell to comment on mine, I'll never yell at you! lol And I value your opinions, they aren't silly to me.
Hugs,
Jess

KatyM said...

Hi!
I tend not to comment either because I also feel like others have all ready said it better or I will be misunderstood. I am also bad at commenting on blogs I read but love when people comment on mine so thanks for your recent comment! Also wanted to say I like reading your blog. I was very impressed with your Oregon Trail relief map!
Peace.
KatyM
http://riversedgeurbanacademy.blogspot.com

A family of six living and learning. You might catch us outside in the mud or working on crafts. We always seem to be on the go, come on and join us.